Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Application 2

0 0

Does anyone want to give me any hints towards app2? I have done all the other easy ones, but this one is causing me trouble. I expect I need to attack it in a different way than the others (hex editing is just not working for me), but I don't know what way that is.

If it is a string, then I just cannot recognize it. I even wrote a program to get them out of the exe….did you know that app2.exe contains 1,434 strings* of length at least 5?

*Strings being upper and lower case ascii or numbers, both ascii and psuedo-unicode (every second character being null).

So…any tips?

0 0

did you try using olly its been a while since i did it but i used OllDBG for every one cept 8

0 0

Yep, but it was thousands of lines long, and I don't actually know how to trace using it to figure out what the textbox input is compared against (and I know very little assembly at the moment). I guess I should spend some time and learn it properly.

0 0

you need a flash thingy, thing…. you can find one on this site ;)

0 0

Thanks, that worked wonders. I knew there had to be something else, I just couldn't figure out what. Now I know why I couldn't do it. The string isn't even in the decompile!

0 0

It's in there, you just gotta find it. Look around in all the files. Look at each file carefully.

0 0

Oh I've got it now. I just meant that now I see why I wasn't getting it just using the hex editor.

0 0

can you do this using hex editor instead of olly because ive only rely started using it and still cant udersatnd quite abiit of olly

0 0

i did it in notepad, i did the first 4 in notepad :s

0 0

u are a genius preditor a genius!:D he he wel i'll get back to work now ……………ehm……….yeah

*silence:o

0 0

loooooooooooooooooool