Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Ollydbg and app1

0 0

I just finished app1 and I was wondering why the output that you get in ollydbg is not the same as when you open the app in notepad. Why is that? I am talking about the window at the bottom left hand corner when you open the app in ollydbg. It seems that when you look through the ASCII representation of the hex dump it is just a bunch of random characters and does not have the password in it anywhere.

10 9

There are 2 passwords, the one needed for the app to work as intended, and the one needed to complete the challenge and get the points.

Run the app again in Olly and have a look at both 00403C3F and 00403F17 thumbs up

0 0

Oh I totally missed that when I used ollydbg initially. Would somebody literally have to look through all of the disassembled program to find that? Or is that the .data section of the app and its just in a weird place in the disassembly?

10 9

It depends on how the apps been made I expect.

If it's just a case of plain text passwords, like in this example then right click and search all referenced text strings would find it.

0 0

This is trivial when u use a *nix command :)