Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Real 15 - finding the real shell

0 0

Heya there,

I'm having lots of troubles with finding this real shell. From both articles, I think it's something like rEALsHELL1337, rlSHELLleet or rSh311lee7, but presumably with different capitalizations / number replacements. That leaves way to many combinations for me, so I'd like to know whether someone could give me some more hints about how to write it.

Furthermore, I really don't get the "honey pots"-hint and the "changes"-hint, possibly because I'm not English myself.

So, please, help me? ;) (If you can't explain it without being too spoilerish, PM?)

:(
80 120

This part was a real pain. I don't see how anyone could have gotten it without a hint. (Then again, I still am fairly new to this so I don't know all the tricks…)

These hints actually give away a lot more than you think:

1.) It's the real shell that you're looking for, so maybe it could be called realshell…?

2.) Perhaps the maker thought it was leet…

[[spoiler removed]]

For the last one, look at the letters, do you notice anything that you can merge with the first set of hints? (All credit for the clues goes to UnknownFromHell and moshbat. Thanks a ton you guys.)

Hope that helped. If not, feel free to PM me/post again. Best of luck.

[God dammit.. you sure you made it easy enough?! -richo]

0 0

As I said, I read the articles and read the hints. I thinks it must be rEALsHELLleet, only shorter. Now, how much shorter? That still leaves lots of combinations.

0 0

try not to over think a challenge

0 0

I don't mean to be rude or something, but that doesn't really help… If not-overthinking means exactly doing what it says in the articles, I end up with rEALsHELLleet.php, and that doesn't work.

80 120

GTADarkDude wrote: As I said, I read the articles and read the hints. I thinks it must be rEALsHELLleet, only shorter. Now, how much shorter? That still leaves lots of combinations. Considering you still haven't put them all together, I figured putting them all in one place would help. Take a look at what you have right now. Now take a look at this hint: "Perhaps the owner thought that the realshell's name took too long to type, and he had a busy schedule of blowing himself up to go to heaven to worry about!". Now think…What would you do if typing a whole name took too long. Think about names (first and last) and how we go about shortening them. If you get what I'm saying, then perhaps you'll notice a few letters that seem to be perfect for the job.

Possible Spoiler:

initials

0 0

OK thanx I finally guessed the real shell. Stupid still that there are challenges where you really have to guess things. I'm in it now and I became superuser, which redirected me to an other URL, 1.php. Now I know i'm supposed to use c* and finally ** to delete the folder. Does the page have to redirect me when I changed the permissions too? Then I know it worked. Uptil now, it hasn't, so I guess I use the wrong parameters for the command.

What options do I need to use? I tried lots of things, including a+rwx, which, or so I thought, should give everybody all permissions. It still doesn't work though. What do I need to use?

80 120

GTADarkDude wrote: What options do I need to use? I tried lots of things, including a+rwx, which, or so I thought, should give everybody all permissions. It still doesn't work though. What do I need to use? The shell is a pain to use. It's looking for specific commands, meaning that even though something should work, doesn't necessarily mean that it does. Try giving everyone only one type of permission. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that when you do the right one you get a confirmation message.

0 0

**Futility wrote:**The shell is a pain to use. It's looking for specific commands, meaning that even though something should work, doesn't necessarily mean that it does. Try giving everyone only one type of permission. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that when you do the right one you get a confirmation message.I think I know what you mean; I have to give all people the permission to write. Since it's a folder, I guess it has to be -Recursive or something. But… it still doesn't work. Now what's that thing that you've got to be quick?? Because I think I'm pretty quick, but it still doesn't work…

Oh moshbat, I already looked at those links. That's just the syntax of the two commands you have to use, that's how I came up with what I have but doesn't work…

0 0

So I noticed. :) Added on MSN…

80 120

Futility wrote: [[spoiler removed]]

[God dammit.. you sure you made it easy enough?! -richo]

I copied that directly from an article here on HBH. I figured if it was clean enough for an article, it was clean enough for the forums. I guess I was wrong. My bad.

Richo, If you want, you can PM me for the link to the article, I don't want to post it again. Then again… it's not that hard to find on your own.

You Like this!
90 0

man, your article is well written, enough to really beat the challenge.

You Like this!
90 0

Well sure i will.