Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Rules

:(
80 120

I was talking with a friend the other day when I realized how much I like to argue with people. I like seeing the dumb look on their face as their argument crumbles to pieces beneath my barrage of superior facts. Unfortunately, my friends are all idiots and, in the face of my awesome power, often resort to the patented "You're gay" response. I want to argue with someone but no one around me is competent. So I started thinking… what if there are other people out there that are plagued by this same pain?

So here it goes. I know how much you guys like to bicker and argue so I figured we might as well put it to use. Every so often a new topic (in thread form) will be posted by an admin for you guys to pick sides and fight it out in an intelligent way. After the argument dies down, a poll will be posted prompting us HBHians to pick a winning side based on strength of points and quality of information.

So that's my idea in a nutshell. Any questions? Who am I kidding, of course you have questions. In fact, I have even taken the time to create a preemptive FAQ. You're welcome.

But Futility, what about all the inevitable morons who will post the dumb Fuck You messages and will ruin the fun- just like in your sad story at the beginning?

That is what HBH's amazing mod team is here for. We're going to start off trusting you guys. The thread will be open all the time for your entertainment. But, if just one argument goes off-topic and begins to explain what your mother enjoys doing with animals in her spare time, the whole idea will go into lockdown. Threads will be locked whenever there are less than two admins on to moderate it, and dictatorship will run rampant. There will also be warn points handed out like candy for those who really want some.

How long do I have to vote for the side which I feel has won the debate?

You will have one week after the debate is over to vote for the winner.

How often will new ideas be posted for debate?

Honestly, I don't know. It depends on how many people contribute, how good the argument gets, how even it stays… If a debate becomes horrifically one-sided, it will be closed off in a matter of days. If a thread gets terrific contribution, then it could go on for over a week. Either way, you will be given a two day warning before it closes so everyone can finish up what they're saying.

What do you get for winning? Nothing, really. I might throw in some community points for posts that deserve it, but you won't be getting anything major. This is more to stimulate the community and have a good time while doing it.

So what do you guys think? Like it? Love it? Adore it? (You couldn't possibly hate it, so why would I even consider asking?) I'll leave this thread open for suggestions and improvements, so feel free to give me a piece of your mind.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

I like the idea. I foresee potential for failure, but this is an idea that would likely attract activity, and since that is something that we here at hbh have been trying to promote/revive, I say it's worth a shot.

Retired
10 0

I liked the idea when you first mentioned it to me. Now, it suprises me how well the Admins have taken a liking to it. I think that the poll idea is great, because it would actually get some use, and it seems like this idea will get this community active again. As with anyone else here, I'm sure that the two admin thing will end up happening before too long though. Overall, good job Futility.

0 0

No, I hate it, horrible idea… </devilsadvocate>

Go for it, heck, half the time if I see a one sider I go for the losing side just for the heck of it to see what happens anyways.

The Manager
0 0

look forward to seeing what whit people come up with in the face of the truth.

You Like this!
90 0

AldarHawk wrote: look forward to seeing what whit people come up with in the face of the truth.

lol. yeah, i think the whole idea is going to cause a lot of flaming though on my part.

0 0

I think we need to impress on people taking part in these debates that this is not a standard section of the forum, where its pretty much a free-for-all flame session, these are serious attempts at discussing topics which are chosen by the community. It's possible a clear cut distinction between the debates and the rest of the threads might stop trolls messing things up for everyone? Or just some close moderation.

Either way im up for lending a hand, we'll see what happens.

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

I really like the idea, but strict moderation will be necessary to keep it clean, and in terms of reasonable discussion rather then arguments or flaming. Which may be harder done then said, becuase I would presume that as soon as no admins/mod will be online, these threads wil go wild!

Admin from hell
0 0

No debates ever stay civil, People will stick with their view on a subject and get pissed. Everyone has their opinion on something and opinions are like assholes everyone has one and they both stink!

80 120

clone4 wrote: I would presume that as soon as no admins/mod will be online, these threads wil go wild! Thus the lock unless two or more admins are on idea ;)

Anyway, I realize that the idea is a stretch and that it probably won't work due to the overall (im)maturity of the site. But since the forum has been slowly dieing, I figured this could instill some discussion and up the contribution level of some of the member while, at the same time, decrease the petty fights people usually drag into other topics. Either way, I (and the guys I talked with before launching the idea) thought it'd be worth a shot.

0 0

nice idea.

0 0

I like it. It'll be interesting to see how long it last too:p

Ninja Extreme
0 0

I love reading futility's announcements XD I vote he should do all announcing, of any kind, on HBH from now on.

On another note, it sounded like a good idea, what happened to it?

0 0

stealth- wrote: I love reading futilities announcements XD I vote he should do all announcing, of any kind, on HBH from now on.

On another note, it sounded like a good idea, what happened to it? Futility's a she.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

goluhaque wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: I love reading futilities announcements XD I vote he should do all announcing, of any kind, on HBH from now on.

On another note, it sounded like a good idea, what happened to it? Futility's a she.[/quote]

I've heard conflicting versions of that, so I just kinda default to "he", I figure it's less rude that "it".

0 0

Getting back to the point, what happened to the idea?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]cyb3rl0rd1867 wrote: Getting back to the point, what happened to the idea? Look in the "Debates" category…[/quote] Well:right:, I feel stupid

80 120

cyb3rl0rd1867 wrote: Getting back to the point, what happened to the idea? I got lazy and kept putting off posting another topic for so long that I ended up forgetting the whole idea. I stumbled across it a while back, but no one really seemed to mind that it was gone, so I figured it was a mistake, anyway.

If you guys want, I can kick stuff back up again. I don't have admin privs anymore, but I'm sure I can find someone willing to make sure you animals stay civil.