Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Newsletter#5

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Hey HBH, here's another newsletter for your enjoyment: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/5/newsletter-5.txt

This thread is for discussion purposes. Any comments, praise, criticisms, suggestions, etc. are welcome here. Also, don't be afraid to comment on specific articles. We can only improve if we get feedback.

Hope you enjoy.

0 0

Although I liked the the intro to calculas section, I think it is so too wordy for a complete beginer, and they would get lost/bored and far to shallow for someone who would understand it to be interested.

I think it would have served people better if it showed a derivation of a differential. Say showing the difference quotient for x^2+2. considering you show an example for those who are skeptical I think they would find that more evoking of trust.

Integration is mentioned at the end but also it seems more interesting to someone new to the concept(say finding the area of a circle).

Skipping from introducing to finding linear derivitives to the taylor series, it just doesn't make sense in an intro!

Again, I think it was well written and enjoyed the brief brush up. it was just too brief!

EDIT:

The computers that failed is great, as someone who doesn't ( thats didn't now thanks to fuser) know much about olden days computers I thought it was quiet informative.

Skipped the hacking section (ironic really)/

The rant was boring, I'd rather go look at some adverts than try reading the rest of it.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: Skipping from introducing to finding linear derivitives to the taylor series, it just doesn't make sense in an intro! I threw in a Taylor Series since I wanted to use a simple example that can be related to something commonly used in computing.

0 0

A curse upon ye an' yer first born for yer continuous persistent use of them dastardly malicious double spaces Futility!

0 0

ynori7 wrote: I threw in a Taylor Series since I wanted to use a simple example that can be related to something commonly used in computing.

Makes sense, it was a good taster.

0 0

Slightly male hetero-centric view regarding those boobs in your rant, Futility. Try to diversify.

All I've read so far are the intro and the rant; I'll try to give a more complete/awake review in the morning.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Nice job guys, thanks for another great newsletter :)

As for reviews:

Didn't read the calculus report – don't want to spoil my class next semester ;)

Memory Leaks was a good one I enjoyed reading. I'm learning C at the moment it was nice to have a list of things to watch out for, especially considering I just learnt I had the entire concept of memory leaks wrong :S

The report on older computers was okay, nice to learn about some history I'm too young to know myself, although at some parts I thought it was a little dull. Felt it was a little drug out, aswell.

The rant was a hit and miss comedy, but overall I think it was a nice way to end the newsletter.

Overall the newsletter was well balanced and well written. The articles were definitely better than the standard crap we see here, which leads me to my next point.

One piece of advise (not really about the newsletter) is that after the newsletters are released, each user who wrote there article (not the rants, though) gets their article posted into the article HBH articles section. That way alot more people would be able to read them, and who knows, it might even inspire a better quality of articles :)

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

stealth- wrote: One piece of advise (not really about the newsletter) is that after the newsletters are released, each user who wrote there article (not the rants, though) gets their article posted into the article HBH articles section. That way alot more people would be able to read them, and who knows, it might even inspire a better quality of articles :) I though about the idea, but the newsletters are all hosted on HBH now, and there's a link on the sidebar. I figure they ought to stay there. Possibly a link from the articles section though since most people looking for something about calculus or memory leaks probably wouldn't check the newsletter unless they had read it there before. Dunno, we'll see.

:(
80 120

wolfmankurd wrote: The rant was boring, I'd rather go look at some adverts than try reading the rest of it. Well fuck you, asshole. If you think you're so fucking good, then you do go out of your way to meat harsh deadlines and try to entertain all you ungrateful fucks. But no, you can't do that because you're a fucking hypocrite!

No, I'm not serious. Really, that whole paragraph was in jest, please don't hurt me. I hate people that get ultra-violent over small criticisms- I actually enjoy being told when I'm wrong. It doesn't happen often enough because people are scared of hurting each others' feelings.

Win some, lose some, at least I've got some real feedback off this one. I learned not to do serious-make-a(-weak)-point rants. I'm much better at being a sarcastic, witty, prick. So thank you for finally saying something. Really.

And the double spaces have taken over my life. I can't stop thinking about them and I can't stop using them. It's necessary and there's no way I'm ever going to change! You can't make me, so stop trying. Just leave me alone.

Also, ynori- your calculus piece made my eyes bleed harder than they usually do. I forgot how hard that stuff was until I tried to understand what was going on without being able to actually write the numbers or see them. Everything's just easier on paper, I guess.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: One piece of advise (not really about the newsletter) is that after the newsletters are released, each user who wrote there article (not the rants, though) gets their article posted into the article HBH articles section. That way alot more people would be able to read them, and who knows, it might even inspire a better quality of articles :) I though about the idea, but the newsletters are all hosted on HBH now, and there's a link on the sidebar. I figure they ought to stay there. Possibly a link from the articles section though since most people looking for something about calculus or memory leaks probably wouldn't check the newsletter unless they had read it there before. Dunno, we'll see.[/quote]

Oh, I see. If there's a link in the sidebar people don't have to go forum searching for stuff like that. I hadn't noticed it. My bad. But, yeah, now that you mention it a link to the Newsletters section from the articles section seems like a much better idea.

@futility Lol, that post got me successfully confused enough to have to read it over twice.

0 0

Great newsletter guys. I especially liked fuser's article. It was a bit long (not a criticism), but there was a lot of interesting information in there.

I liked all the articles. Thanks to all the writers for contributing, and thanks to ynori for releasing the newsletter.

Admin from hell
0 0

Over all liked the whole thing, Futility's rant was great (Too true though) Loved the bit on computers that failed, brings back fond memories. I had some of those.:o. Great job guy's.

0 0

Compromise wrote: Slightly male hetero-centric view regarding those boobs in your rant, Futility. Try to diversify.

All I've read so far are the intro and the rant; I'll try to give a more complete/awake review in the morning.

Next time start with IRONING!

hahaha just kidding, I'm not sexist… some of my best friends are girls.

Lol futility when I read the beginining of your post wow I may have pushed this stressed guy over the edge.

0 1

korg wrote: Over all liked the whole thing, Futility's rant was great (Too true though) Loved the bit on computers that failed, brings back fond memories. I had some of those.:o. Great job guy's.

really? which ones did you own? Actually there was going to be the PCJr as well in the article, but it slipped my mind and when I realized it, I had already submitted it, and I felt that the article was a bit too long myself.

Admin from hell
0 0

@ fuser. I had an Apple IIc which was the shit back in the day, "Upgraded" to the Apple III and was left with a pile of shit. I also had a Commodore 64 at that time which was just a conversation piece, not much use for that one. I actually used that Apple IIc for quite a while. :)

0 0

I liked this news letter though I would like to add something to futilities rant. Yeah ads suck but there is a way to avoid/minimize a LARGE portion of it. Host file additions. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm. The sites that normally frustrate me with popups/transition/and other useless ads have all been greatly reduced during my internet experience.

Admin from hell
0 0

fuser wrote: I assume that you don't own any of these computers anymore?

No sadly I don't, wouldn't mind having that Apple IIc back. Nostalgia!

0 0

Apophis wrote: and thanks to ynori for releasing the newsletter. Oh eat a dick.

:(
80 120

I'd like to personally take this time to announce that COM has been working diligently with us (the newsletter team) from the very beginning. Before anything gets 'published,' it must first be sent through the hawk-that-can-read-English-and-accurately-make-corrections-and-has-somehow-learned-how-to-internet that is COM. Ever notice how my posts always reek of bad grammar and how I'm prone to commit such heinous crimes as putting a comma before the 'and' in a list of more than three objects? Well I'd like you to know that if it wasn't for him, these grievous errors (and more!) would quickly find their way into our otherwise pristine writing samples. That's right, folks, COM has willingly filled the dreaded spot of proofreader for an amateur online newsletter- a job which sane people would avoid like those nasty circus peanuts.

Seriously, though- thank him. Thank him long and thank him hard. In fact, you should probably send him gifts, as well, to make up for your lack of thanking him in the past. More so in fact, you should probably send me gifts to make up for your lack of thanking me in the future while simultaneously forgetting to send me anything in the past. Assholes.

0 0

Anticipating something, guys?

0 0
Hey everyone nice articles, was a very nice read. My comments on the articles:

Intro to Calculus – Sorry ynori, I skipped your section, have not taken Calculus yet so I would not understand a single word you said.

Memory in C/C++ - This was a very nice article although it bugged me that you did not show any example of a memory leak nor did you really go step by step to fixing it. Yes, I understand you did explain what it is and said how to fix it, but it would have been nicer if you went step by step.

Computers that failed- Fuser, you got me hooked in the beginning and I just could not stop reading it, but it just felt to drag out. Honestly, by the end of the article I was just tired and did not want to continue reading. It was a very nice article though and in the beginning I was attached. I don’t know, I just think maybe you could cut it down on the amount of detail or number of computers you went through. Also I was not around during these computers so I’m sure if someone who lived through these computers read this article, they would love it.

Bypass CPAlead survey script- A nice little article, I think it would be more beneficial if you went through what each part of the script does. Yes I’m aware that you mentioned what the script does in a whole but I think it would be more helpful if you mentioned what each part does. I just think that explaining would limit the amount of people just using it without knowing what it does.

Futility Rant- Clever name for the article, as usual. But futility I’m sorry but you didn’t win me on that one. Yes, its true ads are complete bitches and everyone hates them, but you neglected to include the “by accident click”, when someone means to click on something else and the ad jumps in the way. Those things are the worst. Also your humor was off on this one, it just seemed like you were trying way too hard. Maybe next time you won’t take humor advice from Carlos Mencia.

In all great articles guys, I can wait until #6

Admin from hell
0 0

Futility Exploded:
Seriously, though- thank him. Thank him long and thank him hard. In fact, you should probably send him gifts, as well, to make up for your lack of thanking him in the past. More so in fact, you should probably send me gifts to make up for your lack of thanking me in the future while simultaneously forgetting to send me anything in the past. Assholes.

Someone had a bad day, I'm thinking.