Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Newsletter#4

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Hello everybody. This issue of the newsletter was intended to be released on fuser's birthday (Sept. 10th), but system seems to be too busy to sign on at the moment, so here is Newsletter#4's temporary home: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/newsletter-4.txt

This thread is for discussion purposes. Any comments, praise, criticisms, suggestions, etc. are welcome here. EDIT: Also, don't be afraid to comment on specific articles. We can only improve if we get feedback.

Hope you enjoy.

Banned
0 0

Looks interesting enough to give a complete read. Won't be a long read, but still, a read.

Admin from hell
0 0

Some good interesting info in this one. I liked it.

KvK

0 0

Great newsletter. I liked the blend of humor, information, and instruction. It allowed me learned and have fun simultaneously (something rarely achievable at school). Good job guys. :happy:

0 1

why is it there's very little response to this issue? It's been a few days now and there are only three replies to this thread. The previous three newsletters had lots of responses in a day or two. Is anyone even checking out this site anymore?

0 1

I have read it and enjoyed the read.

another fantastic newsletter.

again a massive thanks to all involved.

i'll chat with system and we'll get this emailed out asap!

:(
80 120

Mr_Cheese wrote: again a massive thanks to all involved. You know what would be a good way of showing that thanks? I hear some rumors about a couple of challenges awaiting release… ;)

Also- you guys are all liars. I know for a fact that each one of you has found something about this latest newsletter lacking in one way or another. I want to hear about it. Now don't get me wrong- compliments are fine, but sunshine and rainbows don't really help us to get anywhere- and improvement is always the goal.

So I issue this challenge unto you. Post something that you didn't like about our latest release. Too short? Too long? Too not HTML-y? Too mind numbingly boring? Too awesome for your weak baby eyes to handle?

If you feel the need, go ahead and wrap it in some tasty compliments to insure that we don't cry too hard, but be sure to do it all the same. I'm tired of people loving everything.

Other than that- good work, guys! Another great edition!

0 0

Overall good article here are my reviews:

Interpolatipon: I am guessing this is supposed to be Interpolation? You spelled it right the other times. Well I am not a math person and frankly found this article boring. Honestly I despise math and don't find this interesting at all. But I am sure that the people that do enjoy math find this article mind blowing.

Portable Applications- Awesome article, found some new tools to try out. All though my pen drive will not hold nearly as many tools as you stated, it is always to try out something new.

HTTP Requests- Interesting article, I knew some of this, not all so I learned something new. Thanks!

A Real Rant- Not a very good name….this article annoyed me to be honest. There were a few grammar errors(all though I am one to talk). But mainly what annoyed me is you seemed to determined to prove that their definition of "real" was wrong. Everyone has their own definitions, and I only agreed with you at your end when you said " You can either take your sides, or just take things for granted and enjoy everything people offer you. It's your choice, I'm pretty sure you're able to make your own decisions. "I agree with you 100%, but the problem is you will always take a side even if it is not intentional.

Futility Rant- Wow, what an original name. Besides the name I thought this article was very good. I loved the end of the ass hole, made my day. I did not like the fact that you did not have jock. And used the name Goths, when really it seemed like you were talking about Emos.

I hope none of this offended any of you, all together this was a very good newsletter keep up the good work ;).

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

muplah wrote: Interpolatipon: I am guessing this is supposed to be Interpolation? What the hell, I fixed that…Well it's fixed now. I think I'm just going to blame my webhost for that ;).

Thank you for the feedback.

0 1

muplah wrote:

A Real Rant- Not a very good name….this article annoyed me to be honest. There were a few grammar errors(all though I am one to talk). But mainly what annoyed me is you seemed to determined to prove that their definition of "real" was wrong. Everyone has their own definitions, and I only agreed with you at your end when you said " You can either take your sides, or just take things for granted and enjoy everything people offer you. It's your choice, I'm pretty sure you're able to make your own decisions. "I agree with you 100%, but the problem is you will always take a side even if it is not intentional.

My point in the rant is that people could take sides, but learn to accept the other side as well, instead of behaving as if the other side consists of nothing more but unenlightened peasants.

And ego should not get in the way, learn to see things from the other side. that's intended for the mac and ubuntu haters, since they are usually unable to see from the mac and ubuntu user's side, being caught up in their own superiority.

The same goes for the coders. Just because you love a certain type of language, doesn't mean that it's the best. Each coder has their own favorite language, and in the process, they might have to work with other languages, and they should take it as a learning experience and see how much can they master from the language.

0 0

fuser wrote:

My point in the rant is that people could take sides, but learn to accept the other side as well, instead of behaving as if the other side consists of nothing more but unenlightened peasants.

Nothing to say on this part

fuser wrote: And ego should not get in the way, learn to see things from the other side. that's intended for the mac and ubuntu haters, since they are usually unable to see from the mac and ubuntu user's side, being caught up in their own superiority.

First let me start by saying Ive used Ubuntu for awhile in the past. It helped me understand the basics of linux, and the file structure. Though, most people that tend towards linux, bsd etc (as personal computers), do so for their curiosity to learn more. Ubuntu is very popular because its made install and app retrieving processes simple. It rarely requires you to build or compile from sources new things. These reasons alone make your learning of *nix,.. well limited. For 99% of the people, thats fine, just not good enough for me. I learned more BSD then I ever would with months on Ubuntu. As far as macs. You mentioned they were the first to introduce a GUI, as a justification for their company.. almost. Cmon, stop right there for a sec. Dont justify current companies based off decisions made over 20 years ago, ESPECIALLY in the computer industry. My main problem with macs, (though I will admit its with limited uses), is it IS based on Unix. As a proponent of open source and free software, do not feel like I should have to overpay for essentially another distro of the same thing. While I was in school, all of our computers were Macs. They had just as many bugs and shit wrong with them as windows does/did. I use windows because in the corporate world (from my experience) most tend to use it. Its best to be familiar with what you will need to know about. So I got my dual boot linux/windows computer and thats just what I prefer atm.

fuser wrote: The same goes for the coders. Just because you love a certain type of language, doesn't mean that it's the best. Each coder has their own favorite language, and in the process, they might have to work with other languages, and they should take it as a learning experience and see how much can they master from the language.

I agree with you, but dont know why so many people debate this. Assembly is different from all the rest so and does have limited uses (its not time efficient to program usually (c too for the most part)). That said, as I have experienced (thus just my opinion), once you learn one language and the concepts behind it, its just syntax to go to another. The basis of computer logic is the same for all of them. If you can program in language 'x' you can program in language 'y' with just a bit of effort. Ive switched between my main programming languages several times, if I find modules that better suit my needs in other languages. I dont always prefer rewriting the wheel when I can spend a bit of time to port my code over.

Also my comment to Futility, I liked the math section, though most people probably find it dull. I think you explained it fairly well, though there were a couple of things I would have liked to see. While I enjoyed your php code through the Lagrange Interpolation method, I rarely see a need for it. However, interpolation is a commonly used tool, and very useful. Though most people dont code their own curve fit, when there are programs to do such a thing quite quickly. (Just as an example, Matlab is quite a powerful piece of software that I use when I do interpolations and curve fitting.) An example or at least a reference to commonly used programs might have been nice. Also I know you made a short argument on how messy interpolation can become, I think you didnt stress this enough. With any n data points you can (always?) curve fit it with n-1 degrees of a polynomial. Though at some point your solution is just garbage fitting noise in with it. You have to understand your process and just use you interpolation responsibly and effectively. Otherwise whats the point. Sorta went off on a tangent here, but I dont think Interpolation is something most people need to know a great deal about, but use correctly with statistical, or evaluated data.

Anywho, that kinda dragged on longer then I expected so consider this my rant of Newsletter #4

/rant off

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

stdio wrote: Also my comment to Futility,

I wrote that article.

While I enjoyed your php code through the Lagrange Interpolation method, I rarely see a need for it. However, interpolation is a commonly used tool, and very useful. Though most people dont code their own curve fit, when there are programs to do such a thing quite quickly. (Just as an example, Matlab is quite a powerful piece of software that I use when I do interpolations and curve fitting.) An example or at least a reference to commonly used programs might have been nice. The PHP code was just there so people could see the process is easily translated into code (and I originally wrote that code in matlab, I just turned it into PHP so more people would be able to read it easily).

I dont think Interpolation is something most people need to know a great deal about, but use correctly with statistical, or evaluated data. Perhaps, but I tend to believe that it's a good thing to understand the math and the concepts behind what is happening when you ask your calculator for help. Also, a fansubber I know showed me how interpolation was useful for labeling things like signs when the camera pans around (otherwise the text ends up just wiggling, or it stays stationary while the sign moves).

Thanks for your input.

0 1

stdio wrote:

First let me start by saying Ive used Ubuntu for awhile in the past. It helped me understand the basics of linux, and the file structure. Though, most people that tend towards linux, bsd etc (as personal computers), do so for their curiosity to learn more. Ubuntu is very popular because its made install and app retrieving processes simple. It rarely requires you to build or compile from sources new things. These reasons alone make your learning of *nix,.. well limited. For 99% of the people, thats fine, just not good enough for me. I learned more BSD then I ever would with months on Ubuntu. As far as macs. You mentioned they were the first to introduce a GUI, as a justification for their company.. almost. Cmon, stop right there for a sec. Dont justify current companies based off decisions made over 20 years ago, ESPECIALLY in the computer industry. My main problem with macs, (though I will admit its with limited uses), is it IS based on Unix. As a proponent of open source and free software, do not feel like I should have to overpay for essentially another distro of the same thing. While I was in school, all of our computers were Macs. They had just as many bugs and shit wrong with them as windows does/did. I use windows because in the corporate world (from my experience) most tend to use it. Its best to be familiar with what you will need to know about. So I got my dual boot linux/windows computer and thats just what I prefer atm.

I agree with you on the part where using a much more advanced distribution helps you learn about Linux more, since Ubuntu is limited in certain areas unlike many other distributions. What I'm against is the anti-ubuntu zealots who don't want people to suggest people to use Ubuntu since it's "not good enough" for them.

To them, adopting Ubuntu as an introduction Linux distro will only stunt them. To me, however, it's more of a progression, like, say, mathematics.

Everyone begins by learning the basic operations, before going on to basic algebra and trigonometry before moving on to calculus and matrix. Now take this into OS's. Take basic math as using Windows, since almost everyone can operate a Windows computer, basic algebra as Ubuntu since it gets more progressive, and finally, BSD or many other advanced distributions can fit into calculus, since you've pretty much mastered it, it's a natural progression that you learn more advanced material.

And it does matter to me when Apple introduced the GUI 25 years ago to the general public, and it does make a difference even today. Remember when I said that other computers around that era only used command based interfaces? Apple made computers less frightening to the general public, as back then, people kept on wondering if the commands their kids typed into their computers are actually missile launch codes (a bad pop culture reference, I know.) or the BASIC code for a game.

With the GUI, people can learn and master computers much faster, and it didn't take long for Windows to come out as well as the Amiga OS, both of which offer GUI's.

I agree with you, but dont know why so many people debate this. Assembly is different from all the rest so and does have limited uses (its not time efficient to program usually (c too for the most part)). That said, as I have experienced (thus just my opinion), once you learn one language and the concepts behind it, its just syntax to go to another. The basis of computer logic is the same for all of them. If you can program in language 'x' you can program in language 'y' with just a bit of effort. Ive switched between my main programming languages several times, if I find modules that better suit my needs in other languages. I dont always prefer rewriting the wheel when I can spend a bit of time to port my code over.

I agree with you as well on this part, since my college professor once told me that you only need to master three things in programming, and they are loops, arrays and program structures (at least I think that was the third one) and you can master any language.

My main problem is that those that remain with one language or a few of their personal choices. These people, even if you point out that a different language is more efficient than the one they're currently using, go on a barrage of insults and immature behavior that could shock an eight-year old instead of learning the language and see if the claims are true.

That said, I really appreciate your feedback.

0 0

I would like to see a text version which could be mailed out and one HTML version which could be used on the site, like code boxes for example code etc.

Newsletter #4 is up in Newsletters section and CP's has been added.

Oh and also, the title HTTP Requests by elmiguel should've been XML HTTP REquests by elmiquel right? Or something more to indicate that this is AJAX related information. ( I was hoping for a good read on http requests in general )

0 0

root_op wrote: I would like to see a text version which could be mailed out and one HTML version which could be used on the site, like code boxes for example code etc.

Yeah, if you read some of the first ones there was an html version, but as far as I know system preferred to receive .txt only. For specifics you'll have to wait for an answer from either system or ynori7.

Oh and also, the title HTTP Requests by elmiguel should've been XML HTTP REquests by elmiquel right? Or something more to indicate that this is AJAX related information. ( I was hoping for a good read on http requests in general ) Not at all. While the javascript part does indeed use AJAX, it's merely a way to implement HTTP in that language and everything directly shown and explained about it is basic HTTP. Same goes for everything else there, that is all just HTTP and its different implementations.

The Merchant
0 0

Rants are so irrelevant.

:(
80 120

Zeke tAh FreKe wrote: Rants are so irrelevant. Is that a problem? We added my rants because they strive to be a break in the long monotonous process that is reading a technical piece. Think of it this way- would you ever willingly read your algebra text book? Hell, would you ever willingly read any of your textbooks? Why not? They are veritable gold mines of information and are extremely helpful in learning new things. But they're boring. So very, very boring. Adding a little fun couldn't hurt, could it?

That being said, this newsletter is for you guys. If you don't like my rants or think they're out of place, tell me. I'll stop. We can't fix much of anything unless you tell us something's wrong, first.

root_op wrote: I would like to see a text version which could be mailed out and one HTML version which could be used on the site, like code boxes for example code etc. I have an HTML version of both my pieces with some added goodies. Not sure what kind of point I'm trying to make here, just thought it'd be nice to tell you.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

root_op wrote: I would like to see a text version which could be mailed out and one HTML version which could be used on the site, like code boxes for example code etc. When system hosted the other ones, he ignored the html versions, so I didn't bother making one this time.

EDIT: And you didn't put the images up. Those are kind of important.

0 0

Well, i don't know about you guys. But when it comes to code pieces I'd love some syntax highlighting and numbered lines, it kinda eases up the process of reading it and understanding it for some reason.

Ynori7: Actually, the images were up. If you check the attachment you will see that the image folder was with a capital I, changed it now though.

Also, the HTTP request section, sorry for my misleading post earlier. I was quite a bit tired and didn't get the whole thing. My bad!

Keep up the good work guys, been awesome so far!

The Merchant
0 0

Zeke tAh FreKe wrote: Rants are so irrelevant.

Futility wrote: Is that a problem? We added my rants because they strive to be a break in the long monotonous process that is reading a technical piece. Think of it this way- would you ever willingly read your algebra text book? Hell, would you ever willingly read any of your textbooks? Why not? They are veritable gold mines of information and are extremely helpful in learning new things. But they're boring. So very, very boring. Adding a little fun couldn't hurt, could it?

That being said, this newsletter is for you guys. If you don't like my rants or think they're out of place, tell me. I'll stop. We can't fix much of anything unless you tell us something's wrong, first.

I agree that consecutive tech "learn how's" can get boring, but I thought the Portable Apps section was a break from all of that. Perhaps integrating more graphics, having more actual news, etc. Of course this is only my opinion, if everyone else likes the rants, rant on.

0 0

There isn't much HBH-related news to report. Reporting general news would be futile (ha, ha) because sites like Slashdot and Arstechnica are much better platforms to do that on.

0 0

I read it all. It was good but short. There should be more articles. I'm not blaming anyone here but we should all try to participate in those newsletters.

Big thanks for the newsletter team.

0 1

heads up guys. I forgot to inform everyone that my portable apps article actually includes pictures, for the "tips and tricks" section.

It was supposed to be something like a "before and after" type of thing where you can see the changes after you apply the tweaks.

So, for Tip b, (the one where you can change the name and logo) the before image is:

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/images/fuser-article.jpg

The after image is:

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/images/fuser-article2.jpg

And for the last tip, the before image is: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/images/fuser-article3.jpg

And the after image: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/images/fuser-article4.jpg

The image used:

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/newsletter/4/images/garfield.jpg

0 0

Very nice read. Keep up the good work guys! :D

MoshBat wrote: But, I don't think I even deserve to put my feedback here. Just out of curiosity, why?

Admin from hell
0 0

No one cares what MoshBat has to say, That's why.

0 0

Moshbat was supposed to contribute to the Newsletter. Even after countless reminders and brought-to-attention's Moshbat's stoned head couldn't whip up something (decent).

That's why.