Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

hella_foxy The Intro

0 0

Hello peoples,

Read the "read before posting" thread and since it's very late, I'm not in the mood to write an essay so I'll answer these directly, then get to my point:

Before that a few things I'd like to state about myself: A CS student, going into his second year. I have a high degree of passion for maths and, naturally, programing,

1. What languages do you speak? (And no, '1337 speak' doesn't count Croatian (guess where I'm from :) ) and English. And 1337 5p34k :D:D

2. How did you find the site? Literally Googled "hacking and computer security forum" and Bingo!

3. What made you want to learn how to hack? Unfortunately I'm a little young for the classic "I had <insert 80's computer model> and all I could do was read the manuals and hack away" story. What peeked my interest was C (the "hoooly shiiiit is that all there is to it?? Memory address and value and you can do anything you want????" in high school) and a Computer Architecture course in college.

4. What do you want to learn?

Eveeeryythiiing. I'm a nerd for as low level stuff as possible.

1. How long have you been interested in computers? What keeps you interested in them?

Since I was around 7 or 8. I admire the complexity that can be built atop a very simple system.

1. Anything else you wish to tell us.

And here we go, my point. There was always a little spark in my brain: computer security this, computer security that. So a few months ago a computer security company (a very good one) put out an ad on our college's website about a sort of an internship so I applied and listed everything I had done regarding programming. And behold, they summon me for an interview and explain to me that it's going to be a month of training in computer security (for which I get paid) and some of those who attend training will be staying at the company afterwards. Lots of people applied but only 12 get to go to the training, and I was very surprised when I got in too.

The training is on reverse engineering unknown binary content (files, data streams…). It's very low level and focus will be on x86 assembly.

I'm very much hyped and since it is slowly time to think about my career, I honestly think that computer security would be an amazing and bad-ass choice. So I joined the forum to explore the area, maybe enter into a few CTFs down the line, and to generally collect impressions of people in such an industry. I generally want to see if I belong.

Also, how hard and tedious is reverse engineering binary files? Could something like that fulfill me? These maybe aren't the questions for an introduction thread, but I kind off got on a roll.

TL;DR: Hello people, I'm glad to be here and considering a career in computer security.

EDIT: Oh look. I wrote an essay. Just what I was trying to avoid.

0 0

Hello there, stranger, and welcome to the site! Firstly, don't freak out about the "low activity", because as far as I know, the others sites are the same (I have no idea where everyone is hiding). There's a few here that are currently active, though a lot of times it's spent in PM's instead of posting and shouts.

I wouldn't worry about "sharing" your personal life, as tempting it may be. It never hurts to practice opsec, even if you're not "doing anything". But that's my opinion, so shrugs. However, since you already have your foot in the door, the faster and more you learn, the better off you'll be. There's so SO many areas to specialize in; so if you feel you're better off in a different area than others, that's totally normal.

I myself am a newb, so don't feel too alone. We're all here to learn, share ideas, opinions, news, or ask questions. I don't have any expertise yet, but I'll certainly try to assist/engage where I can.

Also, this site will be updating sometime in the future(It's in development), so if you become sick of the 2000's look, don't run away yet :P

Man, when I first joined this site, I was freakin' blown away by how fun it was to complete the challenges. I assure you that your knowledge will grow exponentially because of them! Totally worth the time invested, even if it means feeling like a peasant, stuck on a challenge for weeks. It's all a learning experience, and we all have our own way of doing things. Which is why it's nice to bounce ideas off each other to "sharpen one another".

Hmm… Since I've forgotten where I was going with this, I'll say this: Feel free to be vocal. Ask questions, absorb what you can, and don't let the frustration overwhelm you. I look forward to having another mind to grow with, and welcome to HBH! :D

0 0

inyourcloset wrote: Hello there, stranger, and welcome to the site! Firstly, don't freak out about the "low activity", because as far as I know, the others sites are the same (I have no idea where everyone is hiding). There's a few h…..

Thanks for the kind words and tips… Regarding those challenges I'll get asolvin' asap. I do have a lot of studying to do though.

0 0

Welcomes to this site hella_foxy. Happy hacking