Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

"Hello World!" - VoicelessReason

0 0

Alright, so I've been bumming around the site for a few days now. I guess its probably time to introduce myself. As you can see, I am VoicelessReason, and I'm not nearly as pretentious as the name sounds.

About a week ago, I realized that I knew very little about the computing world. Actually, I knew essentially nothing. Since the world is almost entirely digital nowadays, it was appalling to think how little I knew

Since I first came across the site (thanks to stumbleupon), I've acquired a rudimentary understanding of a few things, such as HTML and Javascript. I also learned enough about web-hacking techniques to beat a good number of the basic challenges. Really, I'd like to build a working knowledge of all aspects of web development, and in particular XSS.

I'd also like to learn how to program simple games and useful programs for myself. I'm in the process of teaching myself Python right now, but I hope to learn C++ in the future.

So here I am. And I have a question, as long as I'm here: how beneficial is it to switch over to Linux from Windows? Is it a necessity, just extremely helpful, or a bad idea? Thanks!

0 0

Besides the name and the title, great intro :D

welcome.

0 0

go to linux from windows? as far as i know, that question shouldn't exist in the english language.

Linux is for those who want to know how their computer works Macintosh is for those who don't want to know how their computer works. Unix is for those who want to know why their computer doesn't work and Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer doesn't work.

Using linux will help your understanding of computers exponentially, But you will have to do some homework to use it to it's best ability, however if you're serious, that's not going to be an issue.

Otherwise, welcome to the site :) feel free to pm me if you need some help.

0 0

-god- wrote: Using linux will help your understanding of computers exponentially, But you will have to do some homework to use it to it's best ability, however if you're serious, that's not going to be an issue.

Yeah, that's what I've gathered from other posts I've seen on the board. I'm worried about compatibility issues, but there's nothing for it but research. But I'll have to wait because I can't sacrifice my social life to research that until I finish sacrificing my social life to learn Python >.<

0 0

well i say do it anyway, but that's just me. i don't like windows.

as for compatibility issues, there's nothing windows can do that linux can't do faster and with at least half as much strain on the CPU.

0 0

You don't need to sacrifice your life. Get a virtual machine, install some easy linux distribution first, like ubuntu, and then go for something more challenging such as arch linux. Just my advice.

Anyway, welcome to HBH! Hope you enjoy your stay

Ninja Extreme
0 0

chess_rock wrote: You don't need to sacrifice your life. Get a virtual machine, install some easy linux distribution first, like ubuntu, and then go for something more challenging such as arch linux. Just my advice.

Agreed. I would definitely recommend dual-boot over a Virtual Machine though if you were planning on using Linux often. Linux can do most things, but when it comes to some software situations (Games, Windows apps, etc) you are generally forced to use an alternative (Eg: GIMP instead of Photoshop). With Distros like Ubuntu, pretty much everything else works out of the box.

Anywho, Welcome.