Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Dynamis - Intro

0 0

Hello everyone. I just wanted to take a second to say hi to everyone in this community and introduce myself as well as list some goals I hope to reach with the help of HBH and all of you.

I am a computer science major in college finishing up my senior year. When I graduate I plan on going into government work in the fields of anti-terrorism, cyber-security, or cyber-intelligence. Currently my main strength is programming but I have had some practice in hacking and computer defense, both in class and on hackthissite.org (although let me say, I've only been here a day and this site is much better).

I am proficient in: -PHP -C/C#/C++ -Java -HTML

My HBH goals: -Develop a more indepth knowledge of hacking methods and how to protect against them. -Get a hands on approach. -Realistic applications: theory is one thing, but most things they teach us in class are outdated and would no longer work for hacking -Meet some people who have a devoted interest to computer security that care to share their knowledge with me

So on a final note, I finished the first 20 Basic missions yesterday relatively easy and I can't wait to keep trekking through them today. Feel free to add me on msn if you care to talk. I added a few of you top guys yesterday and I hope to pick your brain for some knowledge.

Banned
0 0

I am proficient in: -PHP -C/C#/C++ -Java -HTML

No you aren't.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

spyware wrote: No you aren't. Do you have some background information we don't, or are you just using your magical psychic powers again?

0 0

I'm guessing that spyware's definition of proficient is different than the OP.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]I am proficient in: -PHP -C/C#/C++ -Java -HTML

No you aren't.[/quote]

Proficient from Dictionary.com –adjective

1. well-advanced or competent in any art, science, or subject; skilled:

I prefer the word skilled myself, proficient just makes it sound more appealing. I try to avoid the word expert because there is always more to learn and always someone who knows more. Thanks for the first post pessimism though.

0 0

Anyway, welcome to HBH Dynamis :)

0 0

Welcome to HBH. Personally I'm finishing up my first year studying computer science. :)

Retired
10 0

@OP: What all do you know in C++? And welcome to HBH.

0 0

If youré good with those languages, can you show something then?

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

Firstly welcome in here. And secondly yes even I would appreciate some examples of your work, which would also put end to this rather pointless argument:)

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

The Freak wrote: I gotta say, I most highly doubt you are skilled in all of those languages.

I can believe it. I'm only a sophomore in college, and I've already had classes in 4 different languages (I wish they'd just pick one and stick with it). He didn't say he was an expert in any of them, just proficient (i.e. competent). I'm "proficient" in 5 languages, but I'd say I'm "skilled" in two of those.

Anyway, welcome to HBH.

0 0

Wow. What is with all of this hostility? Holy cow. I did mention I'm a computer science major and I have been programming for 8+ years. I mean, I've had to write programs every day for the last 4 years in college alone what I do on my free time. I'm not trying to brag, because as I said I am no expert, but I have written 100's of programs in all of those languages. So I do consider myself to be skilled in those languages.

I'm sure there are other software engineers on here that would most likely agree with me that once you learn how to program well, programming in any language is only as difficult as learning the syntax. Ruby on rails on the other hand, blah, I encountered that last summer in an internship and wanted to shoot myself. No RoR for me.

As for examples, I'll upload some later today and post links once I have them uploaded.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Dynamis wrote: I'm sure there are other software engineers on here that would most likely agree with me that once you learn how to program well, programming in any language is only as difficult as learning the syntax. I agree completely (aside from occasional exceptions)

As for examples, I'll upload some later today and post links once I have them uploaded. Put them in the code bank. We can always use more code in there.

Banned
0 0

Hang on, Dynamis, how did you find out about HBH?

0 0

Dynamis wrote: I'm sure there are other software engineers on here that would most likely agree with me that once you learn how to program well, programming in any language is only as difficult as learning the syntax.

I'm a Software Engineer, i agree with you except one thing… writing 100 programs for every language is not enough to define yourself a Skilled Coder… you can write 10000 hello world scripts in every programming language in one hour if you want, so 100 is just a number without any meaning, if you understand what i mean… Anyway have a nice stay here.

0 0

spyware wrote: Hang on, Dynamis, how did you find out about HBH?

A kid in my security class has been talking about it the past few weeks so I figured I'd check it out.

Banned
0 0

Dynamis wrote: A kid in my security class has been talking about it the past few weeks so I figured I'd check it out.

Ah, not the reference I was hoping for, too bad. Anyway, I hope you can forgive my initial skepticism. You will learn quickly that while dwelling the inner depths of these rotten caves, your mind will start playing eerie tricks on you. For example, look at Moshbat.

While I disagree with your stance on syntactic compatibility (you program with logic, not syntax), I wholeheartedly welcome you to HBH.

0 0

spyware wrote: While I disagree with your stance on syntactic compatibility (you program with logic, not syntax), I wholeheartedly welcome you to HBH.

No, that is exactly what I was stating. Once you understand the logic of programming, learning a new language is as simple as finding the correct syntax to put your desired logic into the specified language. Maybe I typed it wrong the first time, but that is what I was saying.

Banned
0 0

Dynamis wrote: No, that is exactly what I was stating. Once you understand the logic of programming, learning a new language is as simple as finding the correct syntax to put your desired logic into the specified language. Maybe I typed it wrong the first time, but that is what I was saying.

The way I interpreted what you said was "the only thing that differs between languages is the syntax", I disagree with this. Every language has her own strengths and weaknesses, oddities and behavior.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]Dynamis wrote: No, that is exactly what I was stating. Once you understand the logic of programming, learning a new language is as simple as finding the correct syntax to put your desired logic into the specified language. Maybe I typed it wrong the first time, but that is what I was saying.

The way I interpreted what you said was "the only thing that differs between languages is the syntax", I disagree with this. Every language has her own strengths and weaknesses, oddities and behavior. [/quote]

However, the more languages you know, the faster you learn new ones. Even though there are some differences between languages, the basics are the same in all languages.

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: Even though there are some differences between languages, the basics are the same in all languages. Come on, you can't say that the basics of LISP are the same as the basics of PHP? :right:

0 0

Uber0n wrote: [quote]c4p_sl0ck wrote: Even though there are some differences between languages, the basics are the same in all languages. Come on, you can't say that the basics of LISP are the same as the basics of PHP? :right:[/quote]

The fundaments are the same. They can both run on the same systems. It's all statements, conditions, loops…

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: The fundaments are the same. They can both run on the same systems. It's all statements, conditions, loops… If "basics of programming" simply means that statements exist, sure… :angry:

0 0

Uber0n wrote: [quote]c4p_sl0ck wrote: The fundaments are the same. They can both run on the same systems. It's all statements, conditions, loops… If "basics of programming" simply means that statements exist, sure… :angry:[/quote]

Well, that's very basic isn't it? Therefore the basics. xD