Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Basic 5

40 0

Hello, I think the challange isn't working properly, as the bottom input field is completely useless… Shouldn't this box help checking the format of the email-adress part? No matter what I enter, I allways get the message "We were unable to match your search, please check your spelling or the email doesnt exist" (well, apart from just entering a single wildcard, but that doesn't help either, does it?)

So, is this intentional behaviour or broken? Was a bit frustrating to notice that my second thought was actually already correct, but i spent an hour trying to get something working with the bottom field…

10 9

Intentional.

It shows all too well the dangers of an authentication system, where easily discovered information can allow you to guess a valid users credentials in no time at all.

It also teaches you an amazing piece of knowledge that all serious wannabe 1337 ninja hackers should know.

Asterisks are wildcards.

40 0

Yes, I got that, but why don't the wildcards work on the bottom input field? Doesn't make sense to me, as it is completely useless.

10 9

The search function only does one thing …….it shows you the error message, 

There's no need for it to actually work, as it's got nothing to do with searching, but it has to be there, as it's needed to demonstrate the dangers of making it the same as the login function.

If it did work, it would cause way more confusion, hence it's supposed to be obvious that it doesn't, so you're forced to move your attempts to the login field.

40 0

Ok. Since I haven't seen many people in this forum struggeling with the challenge you're probably right and it should have been obvious to me, that the second input field doesn't help finding the correct format. Anyhow thank you for your answers. Much appreciated!

0 0

Bottom field only helps with allowing you to assume the correct format of the top field.. we already know asterisks are wild cards.. now put the two together and create the answer.. :) Good luck!