Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Basic 6 Logic Question

0 0

Hello all. I'm having some trouble successfully completing the Basic 6 challenge and I was wondering if someone could help me in verifying my logic so that I can determine if I'm thinking about it wrong or if I just need to tweak my commands to fit the requirements of the challenge since it's not a live *nix system.

The challenge instructs us to:

1.change the mode of a file called logs.txt so that all users have execute permissions to that file.

1. Delete or remove the logs.txt file

2. Delete or remove the other log file that "tracks people".

My reasoning on Command Number 1: In order to fulfill the Unix command one you would use a command that changes the permissions of a file, which I'll name since it appears in the instructions, chmod to change the permissions of logs.txt to all execute. You would do this by inputting the chmod command with the appropriate reference, which in this case would be all, the operator for adding permissions, and the execute permission (mode). I am assuming in this case that its being simulated that you are executing the command from the directory containing the logs.txt file so you would reference the file as $ chmod *** logs.txt rather than $ chmod *** /*/logs.txt

My reasoning on Command Number 2: is that if i'm actually doing this wrong on a logical level i'm going to take myself out back and put myself out of my misery. I've experience on *nix, i know how to delete files.

My reasoning on Command Number 3: The only issue here is determining the appropriate file to delete. Once again I'm assuming i simply have to determine the file name and extension and not the directory it resides. I want to figure this one out so I just want verification that I dont have to worry about the directory and that since there are many many log files, with some differences between different *nix variants, that the key is the reference that was made that it's the log file that tracks people???

0 0

Have you gone through the threads on this challenge? If not, do it its all there.

0 0

My reasoning on Command Number 3: The only issue here is determining the appropriate file to delete. Once again I'm assuming i simply have to determine the file name and extension and not the directory it resides. I want to figure this one out so I just want verification that I dont have to worry about the directory and that since there are many many log files, with some differences between different *nix variants, that the key is the reference that was made that it's the log file that tracks people???

Try figuring out a way to view the files. This one stumped me at first when I did it too, but its actually really easy.

Also, your syntax with the chmod command is a little different from what I used. I cant say it wouldn't work, but if it doesn't, try leaning towards your other option… > $ chmod *** /*/logs.txt

If you really find yourself stumped, PM me and I'll do what I can without spoiling the challenge.