Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Basic 6 - unix noob

0 0

ok, as stated, I dont know unix.

I did a google search and think I am at least on the right path.

Only thing is, how I am seeing it I should be able to do this with 2 commands.

Can someone PM me and I can show you what I got so far, maybe give me a step in the right direction?

Thanks

Retired
10 0

Why not try both and find which one works?

0 0

I put in the 2 commands and also a variation of having "" or {} around the file name, but I assume it needs 3 commands not just 2

0 0

sakuyaslove wrote: ok, as stated, I dont know unix.

Only thing is, how I am seeing it I should be able to do this with 2 commands.

Learn basic Unix commands. They're not hard and, for this challenge, it's the simple ones. Yes, you can do it with 2 lines of commands… Hell, you can do it with 1. Approach it from the standpoint that you have to take 3 separate actions, each on its own command, then you'll figure it out. This one takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work.

yours31f wrote: Why not try both and find which one works? Why not read before responding?

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: Learn basic Unix commands. They're not hard and, for this challenge, it's the simple ones. Yes, you can do it with 2 lines of commands… Hell, you can do it with 1. Approach it from the standpoint that you have to take 3 separate actions, each on its own command, then you'll figure it out. This one takes a bit of fiddling to get it to work.

Ok, ill look into it some more tonight when I get home, but I basically [doing commands], I guess I am assuming I am in the root of where the text file is, ill look into possible directory navigation and some more google research.

Thanks

0 0

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.

0 0

ok, now I am into php scripting. can I PM someone to show you what ive got so far?

0 0

Post in the correct section / a new thread. This one is addressing Basic 6.

0 0

This is for basic 6, I just meant realizing its in a php script now I am trying to look at using php functins with the unix functins, im going all over the place. Just hoping to discuss it in PM so I dont have spoilers.

0 0

sakuyaslove wrote: This is for basic 6, I just meant realizing its in a php script now I am trying to look at using php functins with the unix functins, im going all over the place. Obviously… you're way offtrack. You can PM me with specific questions, but I will not give you general advice on this challenge (nor any other). Otherwise, concentrate on Unix commands as the challenge says; PHP functions have no bearing on the solution.

0 0

Yeah, Zephyr is right, this challenge has nothing to do with PHP commands. The commands needed are very easy and basic.

Here's a website which might be able to help you. http://mally.stanford.edu/~sr/computing/basic-unix.html

If you have a go at it after reading through that page and then if you still can't get it you can PM me.

Good luck.

0 0

He finished the challenge.

0 0

Sorry, I should of stated I beat the challenge. Thanks for your help though!

0 0

sakuyaslove wrote: Sorry, I should of stated I beat the challenge. Thanks for your help though!

No worries. Glad I "could" have helped:)

0 0

I solved this challenge before… But what I don't understand is that why do I need to change the permission of the file in order to delete it?! What I know is that if I can change the permission then I can also delete!

Don't write your text in all bold… It makes you look like a noob. - Zeph

0 0

454447415244 wrote: But what I don't understand is that why do I need to change the permission of the file in order to delete it?! What I know is that if I can change the permission then I can also delete! This probably should've been changing ownership, not changing permission. I think Windows permissions work in a way that you actually have to have write (or one of the advanced permissions derived from Write) access to delete a file.

0 0

man, still the same thing! if you can change ownership then you can delete! what's the purpose of changing ownership! about windowns, it's a different story, if you have a system file, you cannot delete it unless you change its attribute to a non system file by the command: attrib -s FILENAME

0 0

454447415244 wrote: man, still the same thing! if you can change ownership then you can delete! what's the purpose of changing ownership!

If you are given access to those commands through a sudoers file, then it's not the same thing. You'd be changing ownership as a root account to your normal account, then deleting it as your normal account (which you would not be able to do normally if you did not own it). Instead of finding reasons for why something seems stupid, try to find reasons for why it can happen.

about windowns, it's a different story, if you have a system file, you cannot delete it unless you change its attribute to a non system file by the command: attrib -s FILENAME I was talking about file/folder permissions on a domain. It's very rare that you'd change permissions on a workstation.

0 0

You're patching the challenge too much i guess lol Anyways, I think that the challenge info should be clearer…

0 0

454447415244 wrote: You're patching the challenge too much i guess lol Anyways, I think that the challenge info should be clearer… Ahh… guess I lost you, then. Yes, it should be clearer. </conversation>