Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Timed 4

0 0

Honestly I have no idea what they mean with their rules. Do they mean swap the characters, add to the ascii values, or do they mean make a new string selecting the odd characters plus the second?

Thanks,

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

They gave you pseudo code. If you can't understand that then you aren't ready for this challenge.

0 0

final += final[i]?

I understand pseudo code, but that isn't correct, unless they mean append or something, and I don't want to waste my time.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Think of final as an empty string, and you just add characters to it in the right spot as you get to them while you trace through your scrambled string.

0 0

The_Gman wrote: final += final[i]?

I understand pseudo code, but that isn't correct, unless they mean append or something, and I don't want to waste my time.

You code python, thats valid code for appending to a string.

0 0

The_Gman wrote: final += final[i]?

IMO you're right. There is actually an error in the pseudo code.

IF isEvenOrZero(i)
final += final[i]
ELSE
final += final[i+2]
END FOR
final += final[1]
RETURN final```
In the line where it says *final += final[i]* the final[i] would be null, because the final is a nonexistent variable at this point. It should actually say final += str[i], because str is the variable referred to on the first line. I believe str in this case refers to the string given in the challenge. Same goes for the next ones too (final[i+2] and final[1]). On the last line the final variable would still be null.

0 0

That makes a lot more sense.. I'll post in ten minutes with [hopefully] my success :)

0 0

wait wait, what about the last odd character? str[i+2] clearly won't work.

And we're trying to REVERSE that algorithm, correct?

something like this? (although this won't run)

code = 'x'*len(word)
code[1] = word[len(word)-1]
for i in range (len(word)):
    if (i%2 == 0):
        code[i] = word[i]
    else:
        code[i+2] = word[i]