Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Open-Source Blog

0 0

I just finished developing the v1 of my open-source blogging platform i called bloggy. You can download it at http://bloggy.therenegade.info. Check it out/try to hack it at http://www.zomgz.info/bloggy/ and all comments/suggestion are welcome.

If anyone has problems with it just notify me anyway you can and i'll look into it.

It's all php/mysql and runs on either php4 or php5. It's very lightweight and easy to use.

I hope that people like it and I submitted it to http://www.opensourcecms.com and hopefully it should be up on there soon.

Thanks, atrcomb

0 0

I have to say, you're going to want to clean your code up significantly.

After looking at core.php I recoiled in fear; how are you able to maintain this application when it's so messy?

0 0

i have to say lemmingmolester was sent to spy on us by forces unknown. Do not trust a word that comes out of that keyboard.

0 0

lol yeh, i know it could do with a fair bit of optimization, but as long as it works, im fine with it. There'll be plenty more versions and addons and stuff, in fact v1.2.1 will be released two mondays from now. thx for the cmments though.

0 0

so has anyone actually used/have any thoughts?

0 0

atrcomb wrote: so has anyone actually used/have any thoughts?

I'd say make it a lot more modular and don't include HTML inside strings (e.g. use PHP as a HTML templating engine, not a HTML-in-a-string-manipulating-engine).

0 0

i understand your second point lemmingmolestor, but what do you mean by your first?

0 0

What was my first point?

0 0

make it more modular. or does that go with the html strings part?

0 0

atrcomb wrote: make it more modular. or does that go with the html strings part?

Everything :)

0 0

version 1.0.5 is out!

Bug Fixes and Minor Optimizations.

0 0

atrcomb wrote: version 1.0.5 is out!

Bug Fixes and Minor Optimizations.

Which license is it released under?

Also, if you want I can throw an hour or two at it and clean up some code.

0 0

GPL License

As to cleaning up code, I knew full well plenty of people would tell me that when I released it, and even while I was coding I literally thought to myself, I should do it this way instead but didn't. I'll take care of cleaning up code in later releases, this release just fixed some really nescessary stuff.

Thanks for your continuing commentary though.

0 0

@system :O

mysql_real_escape_string() fails me :(

thanks for the heads up, you could've just told me though.

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

atrcomb wrote: @system :O

mysql_real_escape_string() fails me :(

thanks for the heads up, you could've just told me though.

Use: settype( $_GET['id'], "int" );

Peace, ~system[elites0ft.com]

0 0

u know its really weird you said that system, cuz i had that but for some reason on my friends server running php4 it wouldn't work.

I'll use ereg_replace("[^0-9]", "", $_GET["id"]);

EDIT: Found the same thing in favorite.php, fixed it though

0 0

atrcomb wrote: GPL License

As to cleaning up code, I knew full well plenty of people would tell me that when I released it, and even while I was coding I literally thought to myself, I should do it this way instead but didn't. I'll take care of cleaning up code in later releases, this release just fixed some really nescessary stuff.

Thanks for your continuing commentary though.

Ok, so we'll take the other route like system_meltdown's started :)

0 0

its not that im refusing help, its just im already aware of what can be done and don't want you wasting your time doing something you don't have to. Im appreciative of help/points you can give me and I want to make sure you don't think I have the attitude "I'm gonna do this myself no matter what."

0 0

markupereg_replace("[^0-9]", "", $_GET["id"]); uses a lot of CPU cycles, instead do markup$id = (int) $_GET['id'];

0 0

Don't like the look of this:

$visits = mysql_result(mysql_query("SELECT visits FROM site"), 0); $new = $visits + 1; $add = mysql_query("UPDATE site SET visits = $new");

And I've only just opened index.php

Not only that, but its fairly query intensive, every page load is many queries, some executed twice! (See one above and source of $site['visits'])

Also, you might want to rethink how func common works

Infact, you might want to completely rethink search.php

0 0

I wish people didn't use SQL all the time. Accessing your database server is a very expensive process (with regard to time, CPU and RAM). Things like memcached are much quicker, and a memcache extension exists for PHP to access the daemon. Of course on shared hosting it's very rare that something like this is offered, I've certainly never seen it.

Edit: I would try to help specifically with your code but as you're aren't too receptive to code edits I don't really even want to look at the code.

0 0

That shouldn't stop someone from implementing their own caching functionality…

0 0

Very true of course.

0 0

I know search.php sucks as it only finds exact matches and i didn't use fulltext or LIKE 'blah blah' I considered soundex and similar_text, but they were no help. Im not sure how i could improve function common very much though…

As to repeated queries, on search.php i know there are a few, but when i made the new loop for each word, it couldn't access the old queries…Other pages, the most I remember counting is 18, and I am sure that is not nearly what HBH goes through on every page load…

As to "poor reception to code edits." For the last time this is not true. I know optimizations can occur, but I am not refusing help. If I could speak to you all those posts they would be in the most calm voice. I hope you don't think that's what I'm doing anymore.

0 0

18 queries? For a lightweight PHP blogging system!

0 0

mozzer wrote: 18 queries? For a lightweight PHP blogging system!

I completely agree, and with a quick restructure of core.php, 8 are eliminated. I've uploaded the new zip and rar with the altered core.php.

0 0

10 queries is still alot… I expect there must be a way to limit all the queries which happen everytime into one query….