Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

VirtualBox host-only ethernet adapter.

10 9

A while back I had VirtualBox installed but I think I deleted it soon afterwards, anyway my broadband and phone line is fucked, so theres no wi-fi network and my ethernet connection kicked in.

This left my server unreachable via the IP address and the DNS service I use, and no amount of tinkering could fix it. It turns out the IP for my computer doesn't match the IP that is showing up in my logs, as it's from a "VirtualBox host-only ethernet adapter" with an American IP address that was apparently left after I uninstalled VirtualBox.

The server can be reached if you use that IP and it works fine with the DNS service, but using this IP negates some of the modifications I made to my config files, things like the server-info  and server-status pages are now viewable, the phpmyadmin directory is also accessible remotely, when before it was resticted to local access.

That looks like a pretty sweet vulnerability waiting to be exploited right there, does anyone know where the config files that the virtual adapter is using are located, as it's not using the ones I edited for my xampp installation, also has anyone else encountered this issue when uninstalling a VM ?

0 0

Yes, sometimes the uninstallers do not remove additional software required to run the software you originally installed. This virtual adapter was activated when your Ethernet connection turned on, so I would look into the VM installation method as this virtual adapter might be overriding your hardware based Ethernet adapter.

Look in the directory where the virtual adapter has been installed.