Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Database Question.

0 0

I was wondering how enormous sites like Pricerunner.com works? I guess PHP/MySQL is enough for building a site like that, but my question is how do they update the content of the site? I mean there are THOUSANDS of items, how do they update the status of every single item daily?!?!

0 0

They automate updates and they don't use static data.

0 0

Compromise wrote: They automate updates and they don't use static data.

That much I figured out, but what is the actual method they use for that?

0 0

Demons Halo wrote: That much I figured out, but what is the actual method they use for that?

Code interacting with databases, maybe some scripts on a cron-like timer that run every day/week/month/whatever.

0 0

Compromise wrote:

Code interacting with databases, maybe some scripts on a cron-like timer that run every day/week/month/whatever.

Well lets say the price in a store for a certain item has changed, how do Pricerunner find out that the price need to be corrected?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: It checks the price daily/hourly, and if the one on their databases doesn't match the one it checks against, then it replaces it. Really, could you not work that out?

ofc I could jeez. But that would require Pricerunner to have access to the stores DB, Which I believe no store would allow..

0 0

Demons Halo wrote: ofc I could jeez. But that would require Pricerunner to have access to the stores DB, Which I believe no store would allow..

MoshBat wrote: … No it doesn't. There are other ways of getting information from a website/database. Now, if it weren't to pull info from the website, the store would send the information, after all, it is advertisement. Application Programming Interface.

Edit: You're welcome, Mosh. Figured you needed a little push.