Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Computer Repairs

0 0

(didnt see any other topic else fit for this post)

Well I feel I would take a career in Computer Engineering,repair and such. My dad says he will buy me all the necessary material for this. I want to start fixing computers,I know a lot about computers,google helps when all else fails too.But I have been studying Hardware and Software now. I am going to start fixing computers,and helping people secure their internet.If it goes well,I could make a bit of money and maybe get certified. So does anyone have any suggestions on the material I need? Any software and stuff I need to buy to get started.

0 0

Computer Engineering != computer repair. It's nowhere close.

Anyway, I'd suggest getting yourself a nice computer toolkit. You can find these at places like Jameco.com, Sparkfun Electronics, and Radio Shack if you're on a budget. Also I'd recommend a soldering iron and all of the necessary components that go with it, just in case. Burn a few Live CDs to disc so you can crack/reset SAM files in the case that someone forgets their password and all other hope is lost. Have a wide variety of random components (HDDs, power supplies, keyboards, etc.) for testing. Get a digital multimeter that has connectivity testing. If you're on the safe side, you'll want some sort of static discharge device (e.g. a wrist strap) while working inside computers. Cables, cables, cables. More cables. Just in case, you can download the Geek Squad MRI CD which may or may not help you at some point. Have some reference books lying around. Blank CDs are always helpful. A third-hand helps (you can get these at the places previous mentioned). Burn GParted and some sort of memory testing program to disc.

Hope that helps a bit :]

0 0

Here's some more:

A nice size flash drive (preferably more than 2GB ). Wire cutters Zip-ties Paper/pens/pencils

Since you'll be doing wireless stuff, it may help to have spare networking components lying around. A router, switch, etc.

0 0

Good news. You don't need to spend a lot of money on this. My tool kit is an old back pack.

A laptop really helps. You can't count on them having a computer you can download/look up things, and you have something you know works. Start an address book, and find some people you can ask questions. Same for websites you may need. It's always nice to have a hard copy. Also, you always need a notebook for documenting/logging what you do. You don't want to pay to have someone fix a computer you broke.

The rest of this is copy and pasted from my class notes. Don't spend money on the things you don't have. Just pick up things you find for free/cheap over the years.

Extra hard drive, headphones, magnetic screwdrivers, mouse, cat 5 network cable, data cable, expansions cards that aren’t in the food-chain, continuity tester (DMM), needle nose pliers, USB connectors, teasers, power cables, cd rom drive, sata drive cable, bootable disks (at least one live cd, I use Mandriva), cd's/floppies for critical operating system files/ critical utility files, grounding strap, dental tools for cleaning, zip or Velcro ties for wires, key to unlock case, night light, documenting pad, list of resources/contacts, magnifying glass, reference books, canned air, alcohol pads, flashlight, etc. Get the idea?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: You're 12/13, so I would wait a while. Then again, I wouldn't post three times in a row.

Must you always bring up the age? The important thing is Im learning.

Thanks to everyone though for the answers.Helping me build my kit.

0 0

Do you know a lot of A+ Cert. stuff?

Admin from hell
0 0

The best advise for you in the repair field is to get a good knowledge of electronics first. Learn the difference on basic like volts vs amps, How resistors, capacitors, rectifiers, etc work. DO NOT be a parts swapper, this can cost you more than anything. I've seen tons of people slap parts in a box to smoke them finding that something else was shorted. IE:Psu shorts out and fries a mobo, you don't want to stick another mobo in to lose that one also. You can find a lot of nice testing equipment (mobo, memory, etc) right on ebay cheap. Finally I wouldn't worry about a A+ cert. that and a $1 can get you a cup of coffee. When you get good go for manufactures certs. those will help you more and get a good reputation.

Edit: Fuckin' smileys

0 0

Having parts which you can swap stuff out for like someone else mentioned is useful, but wont help you with all computers. Having a multimemter again is helpful but I've nevr used mine while fixing a pc like korg said though a good understand of electornics is useful.

At the end of the day most of the work should be done form the problems description.

Get to know how common problems present themselves, such as random freezes… funny distortions to the video… etc etc. if you're face first in a computer with a multimeter then it (usually) means things have gone to shit.

Since we're talking about kits, I'd suggest a PSU you can run on your desk, an ordinary PSU with the mobo green wire connected to a black wire througha switch is fine.

How about Antec's Skeleton? I've never used it but it's a desktop open air case for overclocking mainly I think.

Admin from hell
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: Since we're talking about kits, I'd suggest a PSU you can run on your desk, an ordinary PSU with the mobo green wire connected to a black wire througha switch is fine.

The only thing to watch is not all PSU's are rated at the same amperage. You can have 12v@1.5amps up to 12v@20amps. You don't want to hook the wrong amps up to a good board. Check what you need for output first!

0 0

korg wrote: The only thing to watch is not all PSU's are rated at the same amperage. You can have 12v@1.5amps up to 12v@20amps. You don't want to hook the wrong amps up to a good board. Check what you need for output first!

What do you mean by that? As in get a psu capable of a high power?

A good quaility one would make sense, I use some cheap ass one I got form a dumped computer I found.

0 0

If you have too many amps going to a board, you will likely blow a component. It's like having no resistance. If it's just a threshold amount over the rated limit, it may just shorten it's life. If something like a capacitor or resistor blows, you get a break in the circuit and the mobo may not even let the computer turn on.

0 0

maug wrote: If you have too many amps going to a board, you will likely blow a component. It's like having no resistance. If it's just a threshold amount over the rated limit, it may just shorten it's life. If something like a capacitor or resistor blows, you get a break in the circuit and the mobo may not even let the computer turn on.

That's why things have current limiting resistors. The only problem you could have is drawing too much i.e. overloading a rail, so long as you get a high quaility stable high rated PSU this shouldn't happen.

You could hook up a LED with say a 220ohm resistor and any given 5v source no matter if it's rated for 2amps or 2 million amps will give you 15mA.

Admin from hell
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: A good quaility one would make sense, I use some cheap ass one I got form a dumped computer I found.

That's my point, Use one that has a high variable amperage. You don't want to use one with low amps and not fire the board up and think it's bad. On the other hand I've had many people use the wrong A/C adapters on laptops and fry them instantly. Always check your volts/amps before connecting anything.