Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

New server

Retired
10 0

I am getting a new laptop soon and I want turn this one into a server. Now for the question.

What Distro is the best for web servers? (Opinions and reasoning please)

Ninja Extreme
0 0

This information is mainly for a general server. When it comes to web servers, the distribution doesn't make a huge difference. Apache pretty much runs the same on every distribution, however when it comes to logging into the server, admining it, and using it for other tasks, the text below is what you'll need to consider.

Distros I would recommend against:

Ubuntu - too user friendly. Keeps you from actually managing the system. Slackware - Poor package manager (which means less automatic security updates). Any non-major distro - Less support, likely less maintained.

I would recommend debian or gentoo for a server. Gentoo because it gives better control and understanding over your system (However takes more experience to use), however it's a source driven distro so time spent compiling can be a major issue. Also the updates quiet commonly cause problems in the system. If you don't mind loosing some of the "control and understanding" idea that gentoo gives, debian is more stable with a better security updates that are less likely to break the system.

This is merely my opinion, obviously there are those who will disagree. It pretty much boils down to what your most comfortable with.

0 0

stealth-

you suck! :p

haha ;)

Ninja Extreme
0 0

l3m0np13 wrote: stealth-

you suck! :p

haha ;)

Thanks for the very informative and helpful post ;)

0 0

Hey, anytime. :happy:

0 0

>Laptop as server. Stupid.

Anyhow, a proper sysop wouldn't blink twice and install Debian. Need I remind you though, you suck and fail. If you can't handle linux properly, the server you are going to set up will be insecure, prone to attack and unstable.

tl;dr: Debian netinst.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

bdafae wrote: >Laptop as server. Stupid.

Anyhow, a proper sysop wouldn't blink twice and install Debian. Need I remind you though, you suck and fail. If you can't handle linux properly, the server you are going to set up will be insecure, prone to attack and unstable.

tl;dr: Debian netinst.

Well, other than not following "traditional" server values, there's nothing wrong with using a laptop as a simple webserver. If you have an extra laptop laying around, why not use it? I mean, sure you get the lack of customisation ability for the hardware, but other than that it's no big deal.

I really hope your not saying yourself "sucks and fails" (which is a poor insult on its own) just because he's running a server on a laptop, because in that case then it's just you who "sucks and fails" for assuming he can't handle linux just because of that.

0 0

stealth- wrote:

Well, other than not following "traditional" server values, there's nothing wrong with using a laptop as a simple webserver. If you have an extra laptop laying around, why not use it?

He didn't, I quote: "I am getting a new laptop soon and I want turn this one into a server. Now for the question. "

I mean, sure you get the lack of customisation ability for the hardware, but other than that it's no big deal.

It is. For me it would be, anyway. Running server daemons on your laptop is useful in only a few circumstances. For the traditional webserver though, you don't want a laptop.

I really hope your not saying yourself "sucks and fails" (which is a poor insult on its own) just because he's running a server on a laptop, because in that case then it's just you who "sucks and fails" for assuming he can't handle linux just because of that.

I'm saying "sucks" and "fails" because those two words aptly describe any attempt yours31f has made to anything, ever. He is systematically denying himself from having any knowledge, pertaining to any subject by closing his eyes, choose to ignore problems and ignore the past.

Yours31f's digital life on HBH can be seen as a struggle to no end, a war lost, lost and lost again. Nothing will change. If yours31f decides to go through with this plan, he'll be running back to HBH in a few days asking why his "wireless won't work!", or where he can "find my GFX card drivers for linux?!". He'll need someone holding his hand the entire time. Modifying sources.list? Magic! Properly configuring apache and PHP? Wizardry!

It's a sad tale, someone should write a blues song to accompany it.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

bdafae wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote:

Well, other than not following "traditional" server values, there's nothing wrong with using a laptop as a simple webserver. If you have an extra laptop laying around, why not use it?

He didn't, I quote: "I am getting a new laptop soon and I want turn this one into a server. Now for the question. "

I mean, sure you get the lack of customisation ability for the hardware, but other than that it's no big deal.

It is. For me it would be, anyway. Running server daemons on your laptop is useful in only a few circumstances. For the traditional webserver though, you don't want a laptop.

I'm saying "sucks" and "fails" because those two words aptly describe any attempt yours31f has made to anything, ever. He is systematically denying himself from having any knowledge, pertaining to any subject by closing his eyes, choose to ignore problems and ignore the past.

Yours31f's digital life on HBH can be seen as a struggle to no end, a war lost, lost and lost again. Nothing will change. If yours31f decides to go through with this plan, he'll be running back to HBH in a few days asking why his "wireless won't work!", or where he can "find my GFX card drivers for linux?!". He'll need someone holding his hand the entire time. Modifying sources.list? Magic! Properly configuring apache and PHP? Wizardry!

It's a sad tale, someone should write a blues song to accompany it. [/quote]

1. That quote means that in the near future he would have an extra laptop. Which fits what I said…
  2. Could you please explain more into how running a webserver on a laptop is any different than a desktop, aside from the obvious hardware customisation?
  3. Ah, I see. While that may not be my opinion of him personally, I'm not going to get mad at you over a built up opinion (ex: not one you generated based on that sentence). Sorry for that.

0 0

stealth- wrote:

1. That quote means that in the near future he would have an extra laptop. Which fits what I said… Oops, I misread his sentence. I thought he was getting a new laptop and turning that into a server. Anyhow…
  1. Could you please explain more into how running a webserver on a laptop is any different than a desktop, aside from the obvious hardware customisation?
  1. Hardware specs of a laptop don't match servers' needs (cooling, power).
  2. Better hardware for server-ing purposes can be bought for ~$80. When you decide you want/need more/better hardware, you're free to upgrade.
  3. It's a laptop. Chances his hardware will get screwy after +/- 50 days of uptime is near 90%.
  1. Ah, I see. While that may not be my opinion of him personally, I'm not going to get mad at you over a built up opinion (ex: not one you generated based on that sentence). Sorry for that.

You can form your own opinion when yours31f starts nagging us, dropping useless question after useless question, annoying you with his … annoyance.

0 0

I don't know why you would want a laptop for a server. If you're going to have it on 24/7, you don't want a laptop. It doesn't cost much to find a decent tower. You might want to get one that uses the BTX form factor, since it has good ventilation.

At the very least, go to walmart or w/e, and get the laptop cooler so that the bottom is ventilated. It will probably double your laptop's life.

debian and BSD are popular for servers. use google to decide, and look at the debian community. And find a book. http://www.51cnnet.net/ http://books.google.com/books?um=1&q=debian&btnG=Search+Books

@ stealth,

it's laptops aren't designed to be used for games, running 24/7, or used as servers. these things will turn the hardware into a puddle of goo.

@ spyware, nice poetic beatdown on yourself. as my teacher likes to say, "If you don't have people skills, you'll be the smartest one standing in the welfare line."

Retired
10 0

Okay, So so far Debian looks the best for me. But what is your guys opinion of Fedora?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

yours31f wrote: Okay, So so far Debian looks the best for me. But what is your guys opinion of Fedora? As far as web server capabilities? No idea. Fedora is a great OS though. Comes with all the packages a programmer could want, and it's easy to find new packages for it.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

bdafae wrote:

1. Hardware specs of a laptop don't match servers' needs (cooling, power).
  2. Better hardware for server-ing purposes can be bought for ~$80. When you decide you want/need more/better hardware, you're free to upgrade.
  3. It's a laptop. Chances his hardware will get screwy after +/- 50 days of uptime is near 90%. .

I'll give you that, cooling and power are an obvious problem. As for number 2, I asked for something not related to that, so that doesn't count :P And as for number 3:

21:11:57 up 243 days, 5:24, 4 users, load average: 0.94, 0.68, 0.65

That would be the uptime result of my laptop which manages a small backup script + print server.

Edit: Don't get me wrong here, I'm not promoting laptop over desktop for server use, hell no. I'm just saying it doesn't really matter all that much if that's what you happen to have available.

Retired
10 0

Well, I ask because I got fedora 11 on virtualbox, and it has an option to be a web server. I will put debian on VB and get familiar with it. I have used linux before and I have an idea of how to use it.

As far as this laptop: I run it constantly because, I have modified the case and cooling. No overheating issues. As far as hardware, I dont plan to add any to it. I see no use in upgrading anything other than HDD. But 320GB is plenty.

On a side-note: I recognize my past, accept it, and am making a change. But, as anyone will say, seeing is believing.

0 0

I'm 50% with stealth- on this one. Go for Debian. It's user friendly, it comes with a convenient self-installer, you could have it up and running in two hours.

As far as Gentoo is concerned, it's not worth the hassle. It tends to be a massive pain in the ass, as a matter of fact. Don't get me wrong, it's a great operating system. It's installed on one of the partitions on the computer I'm using now. But it's not user-friendly. Just installing the sucker could take over eight hours, depending on what hardware you're running.

My brother uses Fedora, and so did one of the other admins on H2H. They both love it. I haven't tried it myself, but I haven't heard about any major problems with using it.