Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

WTF Internet Explorer OMG

755 14

kk on my site i have a simple button. works fine with firefox however with IE nothing happens when its pressed.

<p><a href="/phpbb2/index.php"> <button type="button">Forums!</button></a><br><font size="2" face="Verdana"> That's Right Forums!</p>

is it just that IE is really gay?

0 0

Try this:

&lt;form name=&quot;myForm&quot;&gt;
   &lt;input type=&quot;button&quot; value=&quot;FORMS&quot; onclick=&quot;window.location.replace(&quot;fullUrl2/phpbb2/index.php&quot;) /&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

Try http://www.w3schools.com to learn XHTML and JavaScript

0 0

Why don't you try:

&lt;form action=&quot;/phpbb2/index.php&quot; method=&quot;post&quot;&gt;
&lt;input type=&quot;submit&quot; value=&quot;Forum&quot;&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

&lt;p&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Verdana&quot;&gt; That&#39;s Right Forums!&lt;/p&gt;

Banned
0 0

ShadyTyrant wrote: Try this:

Interesting solution, but always assume Javascript is turned off.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]ShadyTyrant wrote: Try this:

Interesting solution, but always assume Javascript is turned off.[/quote]

Why?

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp "January 2008 95% - On 5% - Off"

Now I'm not saying this is true at all, Statistics lie but a major part of the people surfing the internet has Javascript on, and the ones who don't either block it on purpose(Which makes it their own problem) or is using a years old browser..

Should we stop improve the internet, cause there's a few procent that refuse to update? - I say no.

Banned
0 0

Sir Hackalot wrote: Why?

Because Javascript isn't required for the solution of OP's problem.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote: Why?

Because Javascript isn't required for the solution of OP's problem.[/quote]

Ofc it's not but you said "always assume Javascblockedript is turned off."

You shouldn't always assume it.

0 0

Well, I use NoScript as some sites try to do evil things (or if someone's trying to play a prank on you). :evil: And it also removes a lot of annoying ads. But if a site requires JavaScript, it's very good if it clearly notifies the me in a nice way.

0 0

Sir Hackalot wrote: [quote]spyware wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote: Why?

You shouldn't always assume it.[/quote]

A web developer always try to make flexible websites… You're right, there is a minority of people who cannot see javascript, but why shouldn't we include them…

and also, why would you complicate something that can be much easier to do in reality… Follow the principle of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) ;)

0 0

133ch11f3 wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote: [quote]spyware wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote: Why?

You shouldn't always assume it.[/quote]

A web developer always try to make flexible websites… You're right, there is a minority of people who cannot see javascript, but why shouldn't we include them…

and also, why would you complicate something that can be much easier to do in reality… Follow the principle of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) ;)[/quote]

I wouldn't, In this case JS shouldn't be used, but you shouldn't ALWAYS assume it's off.

0 0

Sir Hackalot wrote:

I wouldn't, In this case JS shouldn't be used, but you shouldn't ALWAYS assume it's off.

When you build a website you have to consider how flexible it is and how can you include every single person into your website… If a group f ppl cannot access it, they won't access is in the future and won't reccommend it to their friends.

You said 5% before… let's talk about 100,000 people… if those 5% reccommend the site to 2 of their friends you'll have: 10,000 new members i the first generation of users…. are you sure those 5% are very few???

0 0

133ch11f3 wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote:

When you build a website you have to consider how flexible it is and how can you include every single person into your website… If a group f ppl cannot access it, they won't access is in the future and won't reccommend it to their friends.

You said 5% before… let's talk about 100,000 people… if those 5% reccommend the site to 2 of their friends you'll have: 10,000 new members i the first generation of users…. are you sure those 5% are very few???[/quote]

Yeah, They are very few no matter how you put it up.. 5% is not alot..

We can't stop improve our webdesigns and functionality just cause there's 5% slacking being.

0 0

Sir Hackalot wrote:

We can't stop improve our webdesigns and functionality just cause there's 5% slacking being.

Functionality!???? You kiddin me? how does javascript improve your functionality in this case??? answer: it doesn't

yes, it might improve your functionality in other cases, but well… not in this one, i'm sorry

0 0

133ch11f3 wrote: [quote]Sir Hackalot wrote:

Functionality!???? You kiddin me? how does javascript improve your functionality in this case??? answer: it doesn't

yes, it might improve your functionality in other cases, but well… not in this one, i'm sorry[/quote]

Dude, Shut up..

I said this 100 times in this thread, go read it again..

JS DOESN'T FUCKING IMPROVE ANYTHING IN THIS FUCKING CASE PERFUCKINGIOD.

BUT YOU SHOULDN'T ALWAYS ASSUME JAVASCRIPT IS FUCKING OFF IN FUCKING GENERAL.

There, You clearly didn't get it when I said it nicely..

0 0

Sir Hackalot wrote:

Dude, Shut up..

I said this 100 times in this thread, go read it again..

JS DOESN'T FUCKING IMPROVE ANYTHING IN THIS FUCKING CASE PERFUCKINGIOD.

BUT YOU SHOULDN'T ALWAYS ASSUME JAVASCRIPT IS FUCKING OFF IN FUCKING GENERAL.

There, You clearly didn't get it when I said it nicely..

Fritzo Edit: My point was that no one should assume Javascript is turned off in general. In this case as I actually DID post once already "I wouldn't, In this case JS shouldn't be used, but you shouldn't ALWAYS assume it's off." which you claim I have not, and therefore you must be fucking brain-damaged.

Besides that, I have this really bad feeling that you called me a n00b because of my points, Points mean nothing, Knowledge means everything.

You have none of those so again i'll tell you to Shut the fuck up.

I own you in both experience and knowledge, I'm not saying that to be cocky, but based on what you have written, I am right.

There, I said it nicely, again.

0 0

Both of you, shut the hell up! We've all come to a sensible conclusion that one should try one's best to solve something without javascript if possible. It's logical, understandable and the point has been made. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't, that's it. If you want to continue senseless arguing and ignoring everything the other says besides the insults then take it to PMs. Furthermore, saying one can't bare being told to shut up doesn' excuse one acting like an idiot.

0 0

Fritzo Edit: Sigh, You're allowed to flame when you know what the fuck you're talking about and when people respect you enough not to interfere..

0 0

spyware wrote: Interesting solution, but always assume Javascript is turned off.

Killordie wrote: Why don't you try:

&lt;form action=&quot;/phpbb2/index.php&quot; method=&quot;post&quot;&gt;
&lt;input type=&quot;submit&quot; value=&quot;Forum&quot;&gt;
&lt;/form&gt;

&lt;p&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;2&quot; face=&quot;Verdana&quot;&gt; That&#39;s Right Forums!&lt;/p&gt;

Yes this solution is more efficient and flexible. I was tired last night and JS was just what I came up with.

755 14

sooo….

bitching aside, why doesn't my button work? (thanks for the alternatives by the way… )

0 0

I'm sorry I've been such a brain-damaged idiot with a way to huge ego in this thread..

755 14

another reason to punch bill gates in the face…

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: another reason to punch bill gates in the face…

Erh?

755 14

you dont want to punch bill gates in the face?

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: you dont want to punch bill gates in the face?

Yeah, but, what the fuck has that to do with the case?

0 0

Wow, you people seriously have a problem with sticking to the topic.

OP: The reason why it works in Firefox and not in Internet Explorer is because back in the old days that code you just wrote was considered good coding habit for just simple a href button links (i know it's not a valid term).

The reason why Firefox is prefered before Internet Explorer in many cases is just becaue they decided to keep those old coding standards as well. Although Internet Explorer is as you probably guessed: Not.

Although i just as many other on this thred suggest you go to w3schools and read up on xhtml.

And fact: You can't always count with Javascript being turned on because you want your site to be as compatible with other browsers as possible. And also many people turn of javascript because it's often used as a gateway to something malicious.

There, it's said. Now stop arguing!

Oh and also, why would you want to punch Bill Gates, you think he's the one who wrote Internet Explorer. Please…

755 14

thanks root_op , i don't see bill gates as a person because i don't know him personally, all i see of the man is what his company has created and the ideas behind them. so to me i see him more as a representation/ideal and it is that in which i want to punch in the face =)