Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Help, Setting Up File Server...

0 0

Hello!

Well I am sat at work at the moment looking into ways of setting up a file server at home so i can access my files from work. I'm thinking of installing the Ubuntu Server edition and apache on my laptop and just leaving the laptop on [less power etc].

My issues are:

The laptop will be on a wireless network at home and i don't have access to the wireless router as the rents think i just want to download illegal shit on their computer [which the router is connected to], so will I be able to connect to the laptop from work, through the wireless router without having to configure port forwarding etc?

If so, do i just put in the external IP address for the network?

I realise this maybe kind of noobie, but hey, we have to start somewhere.

Cheers

Mambo

0 0

mambo wrote: […]will I be able to connect to the laptop from work, through the wireless router without having to configure port forwarding etc?

No. You WILL need to set up port fowarding on the wireless router to make it work.

mambo wrote: If so, do i just put in the external IP address for the network?

Yes, to connect just put in the external IP for your home network. However, it may be a good idea to get a DynDNS hostname if you have a dynamic IP that changes often.

0 0

Without port forwarding, no file server (or any server). :(

Ask the one with access to port forward that port for you. Only thing I can think of without doing anything illegal.