Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Hardest/Most Important Things for a Webmaster

0 0

I thought it'd be helpful to some newer, and more experienced, webmasters if we started a list of the hardest/most annoying/most important things that are required of you as a webmaster. e.g. "Hardest thing: Checking for broken links; Most annoying: checking logs; Most important: Keeping code as clean and simple as possible, like using stylesheets."

I'll start off Hardest thing: Managing any type of user base or community Most annoying: cross-browser compliance (f*** you IE) Most important: good content/layout, now matter how good your code is, if your content sucks or your layout is uber-unappealing, then your site is automatically less professional and less attention-grabbing. It's the internet, if your site doesn't attract me, someone else's will.

Let's try to keep it at least semi-serious. I know the most annoying thing to some of us is AIDS-infested baby seals, but unless your site is about baby seals, they probably don't affect your site too much.;)

0 0

well, I didnt figure out what you want to say… Do you want to cooperate on some type of cms or something similar?

0 0

Not sure what I am supposed to do in this thread. Oh well.

Hardest thing: Getting people to go on it, SEO

Most annoying: Making things look good, people copying ideas and content

Most important: Content. Definitely content. Your site can look like a work of art, but unless it actually has some content on it, you're screwed.

0 0

here we are on a hacking website with a thread about webmasters challenges in running a site and no-one has yet mentioned securing the site :whoa: None of the above stuff is relevent if any random person can walk in and deface the site :ninja:

0 0

here we are on a hacking website with a thread about webmasters challenges in running a site and no-one has yet mentioned securing the site :whoa: None of the above stuff is relevent if any random person can walk in and deface the site :ninja:

0 0

0 0

meh, there's no point in spending ages securing your site if the actual site is no good ;)

But yeah, good point koolkeith.

Admin from hell
0 0

I'd say it needs to be secured first then work on content. No sense in spending all your time making it nice if some random DICKComes along and destroys it! Good point taken kool.

0 0

whenever your databases go haywire is a royal pain, especially whilst running forums. Defacing is worse by a longshot, its one of the most annoying things ever. Browser Compliance is a web designers nightmare, I hate having to recode everything because some obscure browser cant handle a box module or something else.

0 1

My 2 cents:

Hardest: Constantly Managing the site! i.e trying to keep 26600 members happy, updating content, moderating forums, t-shirt orders, delegating work, etc etc etc

Annoying: generating traffic. i.e marketting, inbound links, word of mouth, PPC, advertising

Important: Useability. i.e layout, cross browser compatibility, standards compliancy, visuals, psychology, etc etc

Banned
0 0

Trying to keep 26600 members happy? You mean 400 members happy?

0 0

Most important: Layout/Content, eg. useability Most annoying: Sleazoid still hasn't worked out the chmod issues on his server, on which I host my site, so PHP cannot handle files yet… Most difficult: Remembering the password… XD