Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Server Setup

0 0

Hello folks, Soon I am getting an old, really old, the time when computers came with white cabins and 20 gb harddrive. Anyway, I think I am going to install Linux on it, and let it work like a small server.

The question is, what kinda linux is working on that kinda machine? No, I don't know the others stats on the comp. 20 Gb harddisk.

0 0

Syntaxe wrote: No, I don't know the others stats on the comp.

Then we can't help you. Maybe you should find out what they are.

0 0

Syntaxe wrote: Hello folks, Soon I am getting an old, really old,…white cabins and 20 gb harddrive. 20 Gb harddisk.

you call 20gb old? sheez…my main desktop pc a few years ago had a 1.4gb drive. And I could play a fair amount of decent games on that as well.

just about any distro would be fine on a 20gb disk/pc of that era. But decide what you want it to do, then you can work out what distro to use. I recommend debian :)

0 0

lesserlightsofheaven wrote: [quote]Syntaxe wrote: No, I don't know the others stats on the comp.

Then we can't help you. Maybe you should find out what they are.[/quote]

I will see if I can get the stats of it.

Japanesedude: Thanks :)

0 0

japanesedude wrote:

you call 20gb old? sheez…my main desktop pc a few years ago had a 1.4gb drive. And I could play a fair amount of decent games on that as well.

I have more music on my PC than 2gb. How the hell can you survive with 1.4GB ? I usually manage to fill most of a 100 < HD haha

[Edit] Just realised I forgot to write what I was actually going to say.. I was going to ask, if you were to "run it like a small server" what exactly would you use the server for? I'm no Linux expert… but I think that would help determine which one would be best for you ;)

[/Edit]

0 0

ok try damn small but if you just want a NAS then get freenas. you should also try vector linux, i heard its good in old computers and i was planning to try it myself soon.

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: I have more music on my PC than 2gb. How the hell can you survive with 1.4GB ? I usually manage to fill most of a 100 < HD haha

you would be surprised… :P 1.4gb is way more than enough for microsoft flight simulator and duke nukem 3d ;)

And I still use that pc now sometimes for BBSing and stuff.

But yeah, on my main desktop pc I use now, I take up a lot of hdd space, 50gb of music, 40gb of movies, 70gb of games and iso files…lol

0 0

daaamn. i got a total of 30gb in my computer right now. most of which is covered by music. but i could easily fill 50+ with movies if i had such space.

Banned
0 0

I remember when i was small and had 500mb hdd,i cried cus i couldnt play Red Alert. Ahhhhhhh old times………. :D

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

i remeber when i had a 200+ mb HD and back then when i heard of 1gig hard drives i though HOLY CRAP i could fit everygame ever made on there LOL now i find it hard to find games under 1 gig

0 0

Yeah, my other HD is full up (160GB) of games, music… and well the rest is mainly junk haha. This one though is 150GB and I've got 111gb free… so I'm not doing too bad haha.

I have a bad habit of having .iso that're like 3gb on my computer like 3 times each though… 'cause I backed them all up (can't remember why) and then forgot lol.

I'm planning on partitioning a 20GB Hd I've got here (somewhere.. I should really clean up) and putting Windows 95 on it to run all those good ol' games haha

0 0

SET wrote: i remeber when i had a 200+ mb HD and back then when i heard of 1gig hard drives i though HOLY CRAP i could fit everygame ever made on there LOL now i find it hard to find games under 1 gig

AHAHAAAHAHAHAA a 200mb HDD? thats freakin awesome. but ya i still use my little 1Gb im my older box in my room…just for a little extra storage

0 0

I still have a 10GB on a $30 laptop I bought. I have an external so it isn't too bad, But the Windows me had to go. And I wish I had a mac so I could get into all my old games. dark reign, masters of orion, ev nova…

on original topic: do you have another computer that you could network to? That may help a couple things.

0 0

LoL, I started a really big conversation here xD Anyways. Now I have it, right now I wanna practice on hacking, to hack a computer. Where should I start?

Python Ninja
0 0

Debian.

FreeBSD.

Damn Vulnerable.

End of story.

0 0

Which debian?

Edit; would like something thats easy to use. Not an console only thingy

Python Ninja
0 0

You have like 3 problems.

1. what do you mean which debian????

Install etch, then think about upgrading to lenny or even sid.

1. easy to use, and console only aren't mutually exclusive. Get used to the shell, it's never gunna go away.

2. Well actually it's 2) again, but it's such a massive problem i thought it deserved mentioning twice.

0 0

it will go away once humans invent a better interface, which hasnt happened yet. so for now its the best way to communicate with a machine that we got.

@richo: why is freeBSD important to learn? im asking cos i was considering trying it out but i couldnt see what ill get from it that i dont get on linux.

0 0

Ok, lol. I know that it will never go away, but I meant something like FreeBSD, Ubuntu Server ext. ext. Okey, normal Debian. Idk, maybe you meant something like Ubuntu or something?

0 0

FreeBSD is somewhat the original Unix, BSD was created by berkley, and is the basis for most linux. I dont mean that at their core they are BSD, but rather they took lots of the concepts. plus for a work world job, knowing unix envirnmonets means knowing more than just linux.

0 0

BSD is also (apparently) more secure, and more organized in its development.

0 0

probably due to its age. they have had alot of time to refine it.

0 0

no i know those basic facts, what i meant more was like a based-on-your-experience why you'd recommend it kinda thing.

@OP you can be certain when he said debian he did NOT mean ubuntu…

0 0

If u don't want to start out with a cli in linux just install KDE. Although I'm pretty sure that debian comes with gnome installed so you can use the desktop interface and still run commands in the terminal.