Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Having so much trouble making a network...

0 0

Ever since i started i've been interested in building and testing my own network… At the moment i have all the computers i could possibly need. (i've been stocking up) Hardware is no problem I bought a bunch of stuff that i needed, and have been salvaging everything i see. Even the 80 gig ATA harddrives out of out of service cable recording things. So i got an old router from a branch of a local buisnesses network that was no longer used. and hardwired my two fastest computers together just to get started with something i thought would be simple. Just getting my Xp pro to recognise my XP home and vise versa. Soo not ready for more advanced stuff i; Ran windows network setup on pro. made a netword setup disk ran the disk on home and then set a few file permissions so they could be viewed by either, Mapped a network drive on one.. and the final result isssss NOTHING?! what the fuck. they dont even know the other one exists… the only thing that works is i can play some games against the other one over LAN but… They wont even ping eachother 100% packet loss… im letting them austo detect a gateway and subnet mask and averything because when i do it any other way they all lose Internet connectivity. Im so lost and frustrated right now. mainly cus i thought this would be the simplest thing ever. i wanted to be able to do everything with fedora but i cant even get windows to work…:angry::angry::@:angry:

0 0

my router is plaugged into a wireless router and another hub. i dont think that shhould be making a diffrence on my hub tho…

0 0

OK, so you hooked up the computers using a CAT-5 Cable (DSL Cable) not through a hub or router right? Either way it shouldn't be too difficult.

Make sure they are both on the same network EX: "MSHOME"

To do this, right-click "My Computer" and then select "Properties" ––> Select the "Computer Name" tab at the top and then click the "Change" button for changing your computer name or network. Then obviously make sure they match!

As far as making a networking CD, I have never in the 3 - 4 years of networking computers together made a CD, I've honestly never needed to…

Using a basic CAT-5 Cable to connect them directly allows them to communicate at the minimum level such as playing a LAN game. In order for them to really talk you need to have a router/hub in between the two computers. If you can't or don't want to use a router/hub you can use a Crossover Cable to connect them directly.

Crossover Cables are data transfer cables that transfer directly from one computer to another. If you put a hub or something in between it does the crossover for you and you only need two CAT-5 Cables! One running from one computer to the router/hub and then another from the other computer to the router/hub!

Hope it helps!

0 0

you need few 100 meters CAT5 UTP.(universal twisted pairs) a little box of UTP connectors. a little knife. pliers to put the connectors on the cable.(probably called UTP pliers) a wiring scheme then make sure you make straight cables, going into a modem,from pc or router. or crosswired ones,that go into a router,or pc, to make pc's recognize each other,for whatever you need it. thats the case most of the times.

with that you can never go wrong.

0 0

Also, make sure you don't have a firewall blocking access to the shared files. I would just start from scratch. Its really simple.

1: Run your internet to a router.

2: Plug all the boxes you need into that router. You said you had a wireless router too, so leave a post open for that.

3: Login to your router and make sure it is setup to broadcast dhcp. While you are in there, make sure you have your internet setup correctly too. As in, if you have adsl, make sure that your username and password are setup to automatically dial out. If you have cable, dont worry about what I just wrote.

4: Run the network setup wizard on all computers one at a time. Making sure that you pick the workgroup for each computer. You can name it whatever you want.

5: Restart your computers. Then go into network places… entire network… windows network… name of your workgroup… then see if you can see your other computers. If you still cant, then you should make sure that you dont have a firewall blocking it again. Also, might need to activate file printer and sharing on all the computers. You can do this when you run the network setup wizard.

One more thing, you also need to make sure that your computers are accepting dhcp instead of a static IP. Just to keep it simple. You can always set it up with static IP's later if you want.

Hope that makes sense and help you out. If you have any trouble feel free to PM me.

0 0

Ok. I now can see my computers in their workgroup and i can share files BUT i can only share fi;es one way… and i'd like to have both… my one computer cannot access the otherone through workgroup. it says i may not have the permissions… gayyy its nothing to do with my firewalls i've changed everything so they're fine. i looked into all kinds of stuff. googled for about an hour everyone has an opinion on this but basiclly nothing works. things i;ve tried: enabling netbios in tcp/ip diffrent protocals firewall changes editing the node type. …microsoft's solution… nothing.

Python Ninja
0 0

you can msn me if you want…

0 0

create a separate shared file folder for each computer, if you have not done that already.

and another thing:

to get to the shared files of a computer without navigation and stuff, fire up windows explorer

and in the address bar, type "\\compname"

that will access their shared stuff. so like

\\bob

hope that helped.

0 0

I have a similar problem, when i try to access the other computers on my network through the Network Neighbourhood screen I get one of 2 messages. "WorkGroup Not avaliable" or "You do not have permissions to access this network resource. Please contact your network administrator." But when i try to access the computers through the IP address, such as \\192.168.2.77 for my computer, or \\192.168.2.2 for my dads PC i can almost always access them. I say almost because occasionally i get an error, but not often. I dont have a fix for this, i gave up on it to be honest. But using the IP's should get you there.

I think the way windows networks is seriously flawed, Ive followed all the instructions from microsoft to the pin and never had one working fully, i think they enjoy pissing people off. But oh well, we shall live!

0 0

PureEvil wrote: I have a similar problem, when i try to access the other computers on my network through the Network Neighbourhood screen I get one of 2 messages. "WorkGroup Not avaliable" or "You do not have permissions to access this network resource. Please contact your network administrator." But when i try to access the computers through the IP address, such as \\192.168.2.77 for my computer, or \\192.168.2.2 for my dads PC i can almost always access them. I say almost because occasionally i get an error, but not often. I dont have a fix for this, i gave up on it to be honest. But using the IP's should get you there.

Okay. You're trying to access the computers by computer name (or NetBIOS name) and it's not working. If you haven't already tried it, turn off Windows Firewall (after physically disconnecting your router from the Internet, of course) and try it again.

If it works, great; go to the Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall and make sure File and Printer Sharing is checked as an Exception (NetBIOS operates on TCP port 139). If it doesn't work, try adding the (other system's) IP address and computer name to the LMHOSTS file on the machine. Save it and try again.

Still doesn't work? Try setting the permissions on your shared folder to allow "Everyone" Full Control (Internet is still unplugged from router). Doesn't work even after that? Check the System Properties and make sure both systems are connected to the same Workgroup. Test your CAT5 cables to make sure they work. Oh, and before you forget… set the permissions on the shared folder to something that's more strict. You don't want to allow Everyone to have Full Control.

If all of that doesn't work, feel free to PM me.

I think the way windows networks is seriously flawed, Ive followed all the instructions from microsoft to the pin and never had one working fully, i think they enjoy pissing people off. But oh well, we shall live!

It's not flawed… I have no problems maintaining a much larger Windows network. It's possible that you are experiencing hardware-related issues, issues with services that you disabled and actually need for file sharing, or possible subnet-related issues.