Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Upgrading Network! Choices!!!

0 0

Ok, Currently I have a 3 computer network (see workgroup topic) I have a Belkin 802.11G wireless router/ADSL Modem. 1 of the computers is conected to that using the standard patch cable that came with the kit. 2 other computers are connected using Belkin Wireless G USB. on one computer this works fine, as it is situated in the room directly above it gets constant 54Mbbs at Excellant, as good as being wired, without the the wire. How ever the other computer connected wirelessly is not very good at all. Typically i get 36mbbs at Good Quality, not bad but this is frightfully inconsistent when just about anyone else in the house does anything. For instance the microwave, Bt DECT phone and even a new fish tank seems to have had a negative affect on it. This is my computer and it frustrates me as it disconnects at 99 megabytes into a 100mb download for instance. after trying various tricks to improve the wireless i have come to the conclusion that the hardware simply isnt good enough for the job. I need to upgrade, this is what i have come up with so far, but i have no idea what would be best.

Option 1: Wired, buy 25 to 50m Cat5e, well witin my budget and will be flawlessly reliable, but cableing is a pain in the ass, we rent our house so we cant make any permanant changes (drilling through walls etc). So this is a way, is last ditch.

Option 2: USB directional Antenna, or PCI adapter with Directional Antenna. Just wthin my budget, but im unsure as to wether this would guarantee the near perfect wireless experince i need.

Option 3: Gaming Adapter/Wireless Bridge. Again just within my budget, and i would be able to connect my PS2 using this aswell, but if the signal is crap with the USB pen, would it change?

Option 4: Homeplug Ethernet. Would need to get a job, but shit hapens. Anyone use these? are they as good as conventianal wired? that is my only concern

Option 5: Move Rooms!! The most luxurious, but 2nd most likely to cause a family break up! (the wired being most likely, with the cables and the house!) I could move my room to the slightly bigger room that is on the same side of the house as the router. Would be near the computer with the perfect signal. Alternativly i could move the router, but again with the cableing for the currently wired PC.

So if you have persevered and got this far :D can you please give me any help with this, or any other ideas, i really need it. My budget is 30 pounds, but i can stretch it to 50 or maybe more.

(while i was writing this my wireless disconnected and i had to use the repair wizard. this fucked up my msn and webcam conversation with my girlfriend. fun!)

Thanks Guys i really apprecialte any help you can give me!

0 0

Well, I guess you have a few options:

1. Move the wireless router to the upstairs part of the house, and screw the system on the bottom floor.

2. Get a PCI wireless adapter and hope it works better than your current setup.

3. Avoid making obvious damages to the walls of your home by running any CAT5/6 through already made holes or holes that you make under the carpet. For already made holes, look at removing the panels for electrical outlets and such.

Out of those, I'd probably choose 1 or 2. 3 has too much of a chance for you to screw up and cause harm to yourself… which might be funny, but wouldn't solve the problem. :p

[EDIT] Forgot to mention option #4: a wireless repeater. Probably slight better than option 2, and a bit less effective than option 1. [/EDIT]

0 0

Thanks Zeyphr, I thought of wireless repeaters, which would be the best choice, due to the layout and design of my house it is impractical, but i gues it could be done! thanks for making me think about it!.

0 0

a drill and a long wire. thats what i do when i need a stronger and almost 2ce as fast connection. also less compatabiliy issues when using linux. might sound impractical but a straight wire can be neatly tucked away in the corner of a wall. and not many waves emitted by other things will mess up the signal.

0 0

PureEvil wrote: we rent our house so we cant make any permanant changes (drilling through walls etc)

tonzofgunz25 wrote: a drill and a long wire…

Oops. :D

0 0

Just use a wireless repeated. You could modify a wirless router to act as a repeater (check google), but with Meraki it's probably cheaper (routers are around 60 these days, the Meraki beats that) and a hell of a lot easier. That is, if you're looking for something that works and not a weekend project: http://meraki.com/products/mini/