Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Windows Workgroup Issues!

0 0

Ok, I have 3 computers on the LAN (I will refer to these as Dell, Downstairs and Mine) They are all running windows XP, although slightly diffrent versions. Mine is running Windows XP Pro x64, Dell is running Windows XP pro, and Downstairs is running XP Home. I have one Belkin router, Downstairs is connected through a LAN cable, and Dell and Mine are connected wirelessly. Basically the network essentially works, all computers can access the internet fine, with no appaant issues. However Windows sharing is a little off, Downstairs and Dell can access eachothers shares, through the normal netowork neighbourhood, view workgroup methond, although Mine is inaccessible from either computer, Mine also cannot access the workgroup it is a member of (MSHOME). the strange thing is, its not as if it never worked, i had it working, the shared files for Mine were password protected though, couldnt find a way around this. But then when i rebooted it doesnt work now, which is annoying as i dont reboot often, maybe once a week at most.

If anyone wants any more details i can provide them, i really need to be able to access my backups on downstairs.

Cheers

Jim

0 0

Hello, I've had the same problem, however on a more ranged amount of nodes / computers whatever you'd like to call them. There are multiple reasons for why different versions of windows wont allow you to join a workgroup… However this issue doesnt seem like it would be one for you since you are running some version of Windows XP on all of them, but it may have to do with service packs. I have had problems with that before on small lan's. EX three had sp2 and one had sp1, but then again that shouldnt be a problem because you arent connecting through link cable (computer to computer).

I do however know of a solution for the backups that you wish to access.

1. make sure you network is secure!

2. right click on the document or folder which you wish to access

3. Select the option for sharing and security

4)there will be an option to "share this folder/file on the network" then click the check box.

5)Open cmd prompt if you dont already know your ip for that machine, and then type in ipconfig /all, which i'd imagine you know how to do.

On the other machine which you want to access those files from, just open run

and then type \\192.168.0.1 or whatever the ip address is, that will bring up a windows explorer window and should have the shared file available for access

hope this helps, if you need any more help or if that doesnt work then pm me and i will come up with something else.. but thats the simplest thing i know of

-sketch

0 0

usmcrreed19 thanks for the help, i now know i can do this, rather than using my ipod to transfer the files, which kind of defies the point of having a LAN. Although this is a viable option for myself, for the other users of the computers in my family, My mother, father and brother. are not as advanced computer users than i am, and i would like it to be as wasy as possible for them to be able to access videos, music and whatever on any machine should they need to. Its not an issue with service packs though, this is an interesting one. They are all running Service pack 2. Admittidally with various diffrent hotfix's from windows update, i dont use it, my dad and brother do. Im starting to feel it may be a problem with windows ACL's. if not i have other problems with these anyway (IIS. anyone?).

0 0

Well if you want to make it simple for your family, create desktop shortcuts, of a folder, and have it be a shortcut for the shared folders or files in which you would like to access… and then for each folder for each machine, rename it as "Mom's computer" or whatever you would like to do.

Glad I could help