Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Setting up a LAN on XP

0 0

hey, i have two computers (one desktop, one laptop) that i want to setup a LAN between. Now from my understanding since its only two computers i can skip setting up the hub (i do have a hub if i need it). I'm using a standard cat5 cable, which on the desktop is hooked into the ethernet port on the motherboard (not sure if this is the problem), and then hooked into the ethernet port on the side of the laptop. So i went and disabled the LAN connection on both computers then enabled both of them, both give me the error when connecting that the cable is disconnected. May this be that im using the wrong cable? I have tried this with 2 different cat5 cables. I tried to connect the two computers with every type of connection in the windows connection wizzard and got nothing. I google it and followed every instruction that I found, and just cannot figure it out. (btw the desktop is running Pro SP2 and the laptop is running XP Media Center). Thanks in advanced for any help.

Howie

0 0

Couple ways to do this..

Easiest way is just use the hub. Have the interent connect into the hub and connect both computers to the hub. Then setup your network on whatever workgroup or domain or whatever.

If you want to connect both the computers directly together which it seems your trying to do. Then you should hook the internet cable from your modem to your desktop, and then have another cable WHICH SHOULD BE A cross over cable to the laptop. This will require 2 network cards for your desktop. Then on your desktop you will have to setup internet connection sharing wizard.

You have to use a cross over cable because by connecting computer to computer a straight through regular cable won't work. So you will have to manually make a cross over cable which you can figure out by using google.

I have done both of these before on my home network and they both work fine, but hub or router is easier

0 0

I dont need the internet on either computer, thats why i wanted to connect them directly, but ill give the hub a shot anyway, just need to find the power cable :/. Thanks for the help, i'll give it a try

Edit: Tried the hub, power button lights up. Plugged the cat5 cable into the hub and the desktop, and the corresponding link light failed to light up. Any ideas?

0 0

Ok, well I'm going to put my two sense in on this one, being the fact it is my job…

Easiest way would be to use a router…either wireless or hardwired… if you use hardwired then you would need to use straight through cables… which go 12345678 and 12345678 (pin out, or ends of cables)

My guess is that if you were to have a router then you would have a simple little default network set up… so just connect both PC's to the network.. via LAN or wireless.

If you want to connect the two computers together via one cat 5 cable… then you would need a cross-over cable.. which would be 12345678 and 36145278. Reason for this is because you are connecting like devices… such as if you were to connect two switches together and so on…

I havent had to have two network cards on one pc for this, unless of course you want to have internet as well… which then you would need to use two network cards…

Another tip of advice is make sure both PC's have the same Service Pack… if one is running Service Pack 1 and the other is running Service Pack 2 it will be a little more difficult connecting the two, in fact I was never able to get them to work…

0 0

wow basically just a repeat of what i said… lol..

root@Alpha.Oddities
0 0

yes i know this thread is from '07 but it's better posting here than a new thread

ok so i got a crossover cable and i've configured my windows box to allow users to use the internet connection and i've made the ip static as well as an internal one with the router as my gateway(all this is also on the windows machine) and for the linux i got the ethernet configured with a static ip the router will accept as well as the sub-net mask the same as the windows box and i have the windows box(192.168.0.66) set as the gateway for the linux eth0 connection. I've already looked over google for what to do now. When i search from my linux for a network nothing happens. No errors as well as no connection.

Basically what i want is:

1. Internet through the desktop from my linux 2)Telnet/SSH capabilities Linux box to Windows Box
  2. File Sharing(which given the second seems pretty redundant)

Any help will be appreciated Hope this is enough information