Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless Honeypots

0 0

Okay guys, me and my friend are gonna get broadband in our uni house come september. Were gonna have a wireless network setup throughout the house. we will have it wep encrypted, but for a little extra sting, id like to lay a trap for anyone who tries to leech off us, as we live on a street with many students. is there a way to have a decoy signal? or 2 signals? one that is encrypted (the good one we will be using) and one that isnt? when people see the unencrypted signal, theres a very good chance that theyll want to tap into it. so is it possible to make this signal a spoof, i.e. they can connect to it, but they wont be able to access anything online? i dont mean to sound like a skiddie when i say this, but is it also possible that there would be a virus or trojan of some sort floating about the spoof signal, and when people access this spoof signal, the trojan/virus is downloadedonto there comp, just to warn them off properly? sorry if i sound like a power hungry skiddie, but id just like to know if any of this si possible, and if so, just how far i can take it to keep my network leech free…

thanks in advance for any help!

0 0

I like your idea of a wireless honey pot and yes I think that it is possible. Once they are connected to your unencrypted network then it would be easy to put a virus onto their computer.

The main problem would be creating two networks.

0 0

really? i would have thought creating two networks would have been easier…oh well thats one thing i learned today lol

0 0

anyone else have any info?

0 0

I don't know anything about how to make them but I know that you can make fake AP's (access points) and they will have to manually find the real network to connect to. Wish I could help you out more:(

0 0

I don't know anything about how to make them but I know that you can make fake AP's (access points) and they will have to manually find the real network to connect to. Wish I could help you out more:(

0 0

ah no worries man, thanks anyway!

0 0

When you set up a honey pot, clients will automaticly connect to your network, IF the signal strenght is the strongest, and the network is unecrypted!

0 0

just as a matter of interest what college are you going to?

0 0

lol eh im headin to jordanstown. im a nordie ye see lol. you set for any uni yourself?

0 0

you should try to get a router that allows wpa. wep sucks

as for your idea. what about using a computer in the middle.

internet- server- wireless router -house computers

then make static ips for your home computers and make a network between the server and them to share internet. and install apache or something to fake internet for the rest of the ips. like a bogus google and gmail and msn so u can capture they're passwords.

0 0

Yeah, depending on how old your hardware is, I would definitly suggest going with WPA encryption. It's much more secure than WEP and allows for keys up to 63 characters so as to accommodate those of us that enjoy being paranoid.

Also, one thing you can try just to see if you like it is setting your wireless router to NOT send out an SSID broadcast. This will pretty much keep out anyone using Windows provided that they don't know your wireless access point's name.