Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless adsl modem/router

0 0

ok, my brother recently got a new computer and whats to share the internet connection of the main computer. The think is that we want to have it so the computers can access the internet independantly so i've concluded after googling that the best option is to go with a wireless adsl modem/router. This option means that i wont have to buy an second IP or anything from the ISP yeah?

So my plan is to have a router/modem and then the main computer wired to it and the second computer (which is in a different room) wireless. This seems simple enough but i think that i will turn off the firewall on the router off and use McAfee on both of them becuase i cant be arse with limited port farwarding or what ever, this a good idea or not? Also on the main computer i dual boot with slackware, other that that both run windows XP. will the only hardware issue with linux be with the NIC?

Pretty much i want someone to tell me exactly how to do this :P

0 1

port forwding is gonna be a problem anywys (because all computers will share one IP) so you might aswell just keep the router firewall on and enable WEP.

also if the other comp is in another room, why not just get some CAT5e cable and run it though, be much much quicker than wireless and will have less issues and be easier to network, as i've heard wireless and linux can be a bit tricky.

0 0

the computer thats going to be wireless is only running windows so it shouldn't be tht compilicated. Also its going to be upstairs at the opposite end of the house so thats why its wireless. What i'm mainly concerned about its port forwarding and the sort. Also if both computers are running msn or something simular will this not cause a problem?

0 0

i have two computers on the internet simultaneously. one is linux and the other XP. all i did was buy a standard router and string a piece of cat5 between them.

0 0

shabouwcaw wrote: i have two computers on the internet simultaneously. one is linux and the other XP. all i did was buy a standard router and string a piece of cat5 between them.

did you not have problems with port forwarding? And are both computers directly plugged into the router?

0 1

scankyfrank wrote: Also if both computers are running msn or something simular will this not cause a problem?

no that wont be a problem at all. the router lets all the computers use whatever port they want. port forwding is only when you want all the traffic on one port forwded to just one computer which acts as bypassing the router.. kinda.

0 0

in my house we always have 3 computers online via a router. i can foward up to 30 ports per computer as long as they arnt already in use by another…..i mean who else is gonna use 6112 b.net :P

0 0

Mr_Cheese wrote: no that wont be a problem at all. the router lets all the computers use whatever port they want. port forwding is only when you want all the traffic on one port forwded to just one computer which acts as bypassing the router.. kinda.

yeah, i was kinda thinking that, that would mean only one comp could use a browser. kk i think i've got everything sorted then. thanks

The Manager
0 0

scanky frank. the main point of a router is to SHARE the internet connection. buy a cheap D-Link or Linksys 4 Port Router. Buy a little Ethernet Cable and you have multiple computers accessing the internet at the same time. I have 5 computers running on the internet with the ability to expand to 9 :D Just buy a cheap 4 Port Hard Wired Router. it does all the work for you.

0 0

AldarHawk wrote: scanky frank. the main point of a router is to SHARE the internet connection. buy a cheap D-Link or Linksys 4 Port Router. Buy a little Ethernet Cable and you have multiple computers accessing the internet at the same time. I have 5 computers running on the internet with the ability to expand to 9 :D Just buy a cheap 4 Port Hard Wired Router. it does all the work for you.

See, problem solved! After I read the post.. that was the first thing I thought. But good thing I read other ppls post. =P

let us know how this works out!!