Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

IP Scanner...

0 0

Hi all… Currently I'm using Angry IP Scanner… In Angry IP Scanner there is a box which labeled "Hostname", so we will be able to get someone's IP address by using the Hostname… Sometimes I can get the IP address of the hostname…, but sometimes I can't get it, and it ends with result "No DNS entry" eventhough the computer is actually online… So, I'm wondering what actually affects the result of the scan… And I'm also wondering if there's any Scanner which could be better to get the IP addresses of computers connected to Wireless connection only by the hostname…

Thanks…

0 0

nmap, but all the tools that discovery the IP address from hostname essentially do the same thing. It's not hard to program this sort of thing yourself.

0 0

fping

0 0

If the machine you want the hostname of is running Windows, you can use Nmblookup ( nmblookup -A 192.168.1.2 ), but that would require you to have Samba installed. if you are running Windows yourself, try using nbtstat.

0 0

Vgers wrote: So, I'm wondering what actually affects the result of the scan…

If i understand them correctly essentially they just do an nslookup of the ip address and check if there is DNS entries for it on the DNS server.

If there is none then you will get no results for the host name.

I'm going to guess you have no control over the DNS server? and therefore wont be able to check if the results are accurate?

0 0

@MoshBat: ping sometimes just doesn't work… I know my target is online(which is my housemate) but when I ping the hostname, it will result Ping request could no find host or sometimes it show some sort of code for example hostname[fe80::bd44::77cb:f78c:7ef4%12] Or sometimes I can get the IP, for example hostname[192.168.1.77]. So I found it not reliable to get the IP.

@suid: I had tried Nmap as well…, but sometimes it doesn't work as well… If I can get my target's IP with Angry IP Scanner, then only the Nmap work.

@techb: I tried to seach in google and went to the website, but I don't understand how it works or even how to download it…:|

@hauk142: I had tried NBTSTAT -a hostname, but it will result me Host not found.

@chompy: yup…, I have no control of any computer in my network… It just that we are in the same network…

Thanks all for the reply…

0 0

Vgers wrote: sometimes it show some sort of code for example hostname**[fe80::bd44::77cb:f78c:7ef4%12]** That looks similar to an ipv6 address, but not quite right. Did you copy and paste that directly from ping or type it yourself? There should be a maximum of one set of double colons '::' in an ipv6 address.

0 0

@starofale: I typed it myself… So it might be typing-error… Anyway do u know how to convert it to IP like 192.168.1.16 for example… Thanks…

0 0

Vgers wrote: Anyway do u know how to convert it to IP like 192.168.1.16 for example… You can't generally convert an IPv6 address to an IPv4 address. http://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ipv6#IPv4-mapped_IPv6_addresses You might be able to set ping to give you the IPv4 address instead.

Is there some reason you can't just use the IPv6 address though?

EDIT: It seems HBH doesn't like https links

0 0

Is this in a Large business network or just your home?

0 0

Hey vgers, you need to do a nbtstat -A <IP>, not nbtstat -a <IP>.

-a is not the same as -A .

0 0

@starofale: Yeah… The program I'm using does not support IPv6 I think…

@chompy: It's just my home…lol…

@hauk142: Yeah…, I know… NBTSTAT -A <IP> NBTSTAT -a <hostname> Now I know the hostname…, so I'm using NBTSTAT -a…

Thanks all for the reply…

0 0

Well then, if you want to find the IP of a hostname, I guess you'd better see which hosts are up, and do a nbtstat -A on everyone of them until you find the hostname you were looking for. At least that's how I roll. :P