Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Telnet?

0 0

Hello all,

I am currently having a minor problem with telnet. I have been playing around with telnet of late. I just you know, want to see what I can do, etc.

I have already looked at the star wars thing at towel.blinkenlights.nl

Recently I tried to connect to hotmail to spoof an email to myself, but seem to have a reoccurring problem, but that's what I'm here to ask. After looking at the example below, I would be very grateful to whoever can tell me what I am doing wrong or what needs to be fixed.

(Note: I run a windows vista home premium, but I am absolutely positive that telnet is enabled, because I checked this morning.)

What I have been doing:

1. Go into run and type "cmd"

2. In cmd, I type "nslookup"

3. I type "set type=mx"

4. I type "hotmail.com"

5. It brings up a list of the hotmail webservers. (for this example, I will use mx1)

6. Exit nslookup

7. In cmd, type "telnet"

8. In telnet, type "o mx1.hotmail.com 25"

9. Wait like five minutes, until it says "Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed" (and it says this for everything I try to access, except the star wars thing)

10. Get aggrivated :@:@:@:@

11. Ask on HBH

Thanks,

t0xik

0 0

t0xikc0mputer wrote: I have already looked at the star wars thing at towel.blinkenlights.nl Heh, it's been a long time since I've seen that mentioned - still a good animation

t0xikc0mputer wrote:

1. Wait like five minutes, until it says "Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed" (and it says this for everything I try to access, except the star wars thing) It could be possible that hotmail just doesn't want you to telnet into their mail server - I can't test out if it works for me though as I don't have a telnet client installed

0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]t0xikc0mputer wrote: I have already looked at the star wars thing at towel.blinkenlights.nl Heh, it's been a long time since I've seen that mentioned - still a good animation

t0xikc0mputer wrote:

1. Wait like five minutes, until it says "Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed" (and it says this for everything I try to access, except the star wars thing) It could be possible that hotmail just doesn't want you to telnet into their mail server - I can't test out if it works for me though as I don't have a telnet client installed[/quote]

I don't think it's hotmail, because I was watching a youtube video, and he was using his own webserver, when I tried the webserver, the same error came up after the same amount of time.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Lol, hotmail has this disabled, as almost every other major email provider. The link he used in his video is probably a link inside his network, or he has since shut down the machine (or it's telnet interface).

People generally don't like allowing others to send anonymous email from their servers, as it is usually abused by spammers and angered spouses.

0 0

Just my opinion but stop wasting time on outdated technology. Learn something relevant like SSH.

0 0

The Ripper wrote: Just my opinion but stop wasting time on outdated technology. Learn something relevant like SSH.

I'm just playing around with it, and I am still curious about telnet…

@stealth- what about 000webhost.com, it lets me have an email address at my own site, and yet I cannot connect to that. (and yes, I am pretty sure that I have smtp enabled). The same error comes up.

And if this no longer really works with many things, shouldn't they take down the HBH articles on email spoofing with telnet?

Edit: woops, I forgot:

Thanks,

t0xik

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Ah, in this case, you have a different problem. It appears your ISP is blocking outbound port 25 from your machine. They commonly do this to stop you from being able to run your own mailserver without paying them through the nose first. Unfortunately, if you want to access your host via telnet, you'll need to route your connection through a box with unfiltered internet first.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at it, it looks like hotmail has enabled SMTP again. I know they had it off at one point, not sure when it came back up. Either way though, it require SSL, so unless you're really good at math that will be a problem.

0 0

A lot of the Road Runner mail servers have it where spoofing is possible. I usually use smtp-server.sc.rr.com .

0 0

Unkn0wn wrote: A lot of the Road Runner mail servers have it where spoofing is possible. I usually use smtp-server.sc.rr.com .

Didn't work. I will keep trying your ideas, but on my own I have given up.

stealth- wrote: Ah, in this case, you have a different problem. It appears your ISP is blocking outbound port 25 from your machine. They commonly do this to stop you from being able to run your own mailserver without paying them through the nose first. Unfortunately, if you want to access your host via telnet, you'll need to route your connection through a box with unfiltered internet first.

EDIT: Actually, after looking at it, it looks like hotmail has enabled SMTP again. I know they had it off at one point, not sure when it came back up. Either way though, it require SSL, so unless you're really good at math that will be a problem.

I only understood most of what you are saying, but thankfully, I am finding more and more that I am understanding the lingo of the users on this site.

Thanks,

t0xik

0 0

Also, if you really want to spoof an email that much, just make a php email spoofer. It will take you ten seconds. :D (I imagine that email spoofing is illegal)

I think that I might try and write an article on that!!

Edit: not an article, a submission to the php code bank

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Basically, the people who you pay for your internet stop you from connecting to someone else on port 25. They do that because that typically means your running an email server at your house, but they want you to pay more to do that. So they block it unless you pay them a fuckton more cash.

0 0

stealth- wrote: Basically, the people who you pay for your internet stop you from connecting to someone else on port 25. They do that because that typically means your running an email server at your house, but they want you to pay more to do that. So they block it unless you pay them a fuckton more cash.

Okay, thanks for it in simpler terms!

Fuckton, lol! :D:D

Ninja Extreme
0 0

No problem, just glad you got it all figured out ;)

0 0

Look what I found on computerworld.com:

News Hackers turn back the clock with Telnet attacks By Jeremy Kirk January 27, 2011 07:44 AM ET Comments (2) Recommended (2)

IDG News Service - A new report from Akamai Technologies shows that hackers appear to be increasingly using the Telnet remote access protocol to attack corporate servers over mobile networks.

Akamai, which specializes in managing content and Web traffic, issues quarterly reports on Internet traffic trends. The latest report, which covers the third quarter of 2010, shows that 10% of attacks that came from mobile networks are directed at Port 23, which Telnet uses. That marks a somewhat unusual spike for the aging protocol.

Telnet is a remote access tool used to log into remote servers, but it has been gradually replaced by SSH, also known as Secure Shell. Administrators are generally advised to disable Telnet if the protocol is not used to prevent attacks targeting it, but some forget.

Although those attacks originated from mobile networks, Akamai said it did not appear that mobile devices were the source.

"As noted previously, we believe that the observed attack traffic that is originating from known mobile networks is likely being generated by infected PC-type clients connecting to wireless networks through mobile broadband technologies and not by infected smartphones or similar mobile devices," according to the report.

Including all types of attack traffic sources, about 17% of attacks were directed at Telnet. Port 23 was "overwhelmingly the top targeted port for attacks" in Egypt, Peru and Turkey, Akamai said.

"It is not clear if there is a common thread that connects these three countries, nor whether these observed attacks were brute-force login attempts or some other botnet-related traffic," the report said.

Akamai found that Port 445, which is a commonly used port for Microsoft products, was the most targeted one, although the attacks declined. The attacks peaked more than a year ago due to Conficker, a worm that rapidly spread and targeted the port.

"While the percentages are still fairly significant, this decline may signal ongoing efforts by network service providers to identify and isolate infected systems, as well as ongoing efforts to patch and/or upgrade infected systems," the report said.

Port 445 attacks were responsible for much of the attack traffic in Brazil, Germany, Italy, Russia, Taiwan and the US. In China, however, attacks against SSH, which runs on Port 22, were more common than those against Port 445, Akamai said.