Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Possible to boost Net 3 miles?

0 0

Hey folks. I've done some thinking, which for me, can end me up in bad situations. But anyways, I was thinking about getting free internet at my school. Now my house is roughly ~2 miles away.

So why should I pay for verizon net if I'm already subbed to a different isp at my house. So I kept thinking on how to beam a directional signal from my house, to my schools area, that way I could hop on w/ my lappy anytime.

So I did a bit more of brainstorming and remembered that some companies offer satellite internet anywhere in the world. So I thought, maybe, what if I went out and bout a 2m in diameter dish and set that stuff up on my house in the direction of my school. Then it would be possible to beam the signal to myself.

Let me know if you have insight on this. Its still in Alpha stage as it's just a thought right now. If its feasible and its not too high cost, then I might try it.

R6W

0 0

I'm no expert but I would assume that you would have to point the dish towards the satellite. Pointing it at the school wouldn't do much. After pointing t at the satellite you would need to figure up a driver to connect to your computer and decode the protocol.

You'd be better off getting a high range wireless card.

Hope that helps.

0 0

You have to transmit as well as receive. You could boost the signal to your house but how would you transmit the signal back?

There are loads of fancy and easy to do diy antennas for wifi like cantena's. These can be hooked up as a feeder.

It's possible to do but will take quiet a bit of work. (feeder and dish at both ends)

0 0

maug wrote: It's legal to use if it's unencrypted.

What's your source for this? I seriously doubt that it's true. I'd take it as a gray area.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: [quote]maug wrote: It's legal to use if it's unencrypted.

What's your source for this? I seriously doubt that it's true. I'd take it as a gray area.[/quote]

I had always had the impression it was illegal, aswell. I mean, sure, they aren't really denying you access, but they aren't authorizing it either. So technically I think it counts as unauthorized access. Could be wrong though.

@RedSix Unless you think you can fit a satellite dish in your locker, your out of luck.

0 0

That is different from calling something legal.

0 0

Not illegal in the state I live in :) Which is why I absolutely love my neighbor if comcast goes down. I can just fire up my wireless and be on in a few seconds. Now, there are certain parameters that constitute not breaking the law on their internet. If you are caught by the owner, they can't legally do anything about it except learn to protect it or give you an earful that you just reply with a hearty "F**K OFF" and they continue to leave it open.

And then comes the malicious intent part. If you use their "public" internet (meaning not protected in anyway, shape, or form) you cannot use it to attack them. (no sh!t sherlock) If you get caught doing that, then you get more crap piled on ontop of other charges and all sorts of other crap.

And the lockers are about 5 foot high, 5 inches wide, and around a foot and a half deep. So I could make a custom sat in the shape of the locker with a bit of stuff and time. Time to take it to school without it looking like a death agent.

0 0

I'm interested to know as to what?

0 0

It seems to me that sat dishes and so forth would be a waste of time. Where are you going to mount a sat dish at your school???

The only reasonable solution i can think of. Since even if you do get the signal to the school your laptop is not broadcasting all the way back home.

Use something to amp up the Ghz radio signal of your router, not to sure how many watts you would have to run, but research on police radios might help. And then just buy a second router and amp up the signal on it also. Use the second router as a wireless bridge/AP . Install the second router at school, and connect to it.

This is a example of the options on my router for wireless bridging

Wireless Bridging or Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is used to connect Wireless Routers and Access Points together to extend a network.

1) Wireless channels must match between Router and AP.
  1. Security settings (WEP) must match between Router and AP.

2. If MAC filtering is enabled, user must be sure to add the WLAN MAC address(es) of the Router/AP in order to allow communication with each other.

Enable Wireless Bridging. (enabling this feature allows other Access Points to connect to this Access Point.)

Enable ONLY specific Access Points to connect. (Enter Wireless MAC Address of AP to connect to. If this Item is not checked, any AP can connect. Note: when connecting APs, at least one needs to call out the MAC address of the other. Hint: the MAC Address can be found using a site survey on a wireless client card.)

AP1 : : : : : AP2 : : : : : AP3 : : : : : AP4 : : : : : Disable ability for Wireless CLIENTS to connect. (This feature should only be used when the AP is used exclusively to connect wirelessly to other APs.)

0 0

RedSixWhiskey wrote: snip

I've seen videos and read about people who converted old t.v. dishes to get a whole shitload of range when connecting to wireless networks. Doesn't seem to practical at school though. Lol. Plus It probably wouldn't be too easy to get drivers to use it and shit.

I day a router the other day that had a 2000m range, roughly 1.25 miles for about $125 or so. That's about halfway there. I guess halfway doesn't quite cut it though.. :/