Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

[?] Two network questions

0 0

Good evening HBH,

Two questions concerning my network, of which I have researched and have found no reasonable answer.

1.) Can I disable IP v4 if I have IP v6 enabled (I want to address the low amount of IP address's available)

2.) About how many possible combonations are available in IP v4? IP v6?

Thanks, Jeff

0 0

What OS are you running?

IPv4: 410^9 IPv6 3,410^38

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Refering to ipv6 in a different perspective, this is 340282366920938463463374607431768211456 addresses for every observable star in the known universe.

Just a note, by the way, a quick wikipedia search could have answered that last question. Please do at least some googling before you ask a question….

0 0

Alot, we shouldn't have to worry about v6 running out on us. Unless we start networking between planets and spawning like whores. They just were'nt thinking of the broad spread of the internet when they came up with the IPv4 standard.

0 0

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: Alot, we shouldn't have to worry about v6 running out on us. Unless we start networking between planets and spawning like whores.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is proven that if we continue this steady increase of IP address usage, we will be out by about 2012.

0 0

TechieJeff wrote: I hate to burst your bubble, but it is proven that if we continue this steady increase of IP address usage, we will be out by about 2012.

He was v-sixin' on yo ass yo.

0 0

TechieJeff wrote: Two questions concerning my network, of which I have researched and have found no reasonable answer.

1.) Can I disable IP v4 if I have IP v6 enabled (I want to address the low amount of IP address's available)

2.) About how many possible combonations are available in IP v4? IP v6?

1. This is irrelevant to your internal network. If you ever need more than 2^24 addresses for an internal network (which the Class A 10.x.x.x internal range provides), then you have more issues to concern yourself with than the migration to IPv6. IPv6 is the solution to the external IP addresses running out, for which you will only need to consider a few (or one, if you have a small network) IPs that are translating to internal ones through NAT. Thus, you just need to make sure your router can handle IPv6 traffic from the outside.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address Read, absorb, return.