Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Any better ways I could be doing this?

0 0

Hey guys, how's everything going?

On my linksys router, I enabled the Log and the DHCP Active IP table. Through the log, I am able to see outgoing and incoming IP addressed and the ports they are using.

I thought I understood DHCP, but I guess I am wrong. I was under the impression that when added to the DHCP list, the computer is talking to the network, and the network is allowing the connection by assigning the computer a local LAN IP to use while on the router. Whenever I kick someone off the DHCP table, they stay on the network (I only know because I've tried it to computers in my house). Shouldn't it be kicking them off? Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Which leads me to the reason why I made this thread; I see some computer names connecting to the list that I haven't see before. I check the list at least once a day, so I recognize all the names, and know all the computer names in my home by heart. Sometimes I get a blank entry with a local IP assigned to it [example: 192.168.1.107 or something]. But more or less, is there anyway to kick them off my network? I know it should be secured in the first place, but the WPA option on my wireless security seems to be M.I.A. Suggestions? I already know I should secure it, I will do it later on tonight.

Any tips or explanations? :/ Thanks for reading the long post.

The Manager
0 0

undead18 wrote: Hey guys, how's everything going?

On my linksys router, I enabled the Log and the DHCP Active IP table. Through the log, I am able to see outgoing and incoming IP addressed and the ports they are using.

I thought I understood DHCP, but I guess I am wrong. I was under the impression that when added to the DHCP list, the computer is talking to the network, and the network is allowing the connection by assigning the computer a local LAN IP to use while on the router. Whenever I kick someone off the DHCP table, they stay on the network (I only know because I've tried it to computers in my house). Shouldn't it be kicking them off? Or am I thinking of something completely different?

Which leads me to the reason why I made this thread; I see some computer names connecting to the list that I haven't see before. I check the list at least once a day, so I recognize all the names, and know all the computer names in my home by heart. Sometimes I get a blank entry with a local IP assigned to it [example: 192.168.1.107 or something]. But more or less, is there anyway to kick them off my network? I know it should be secured in the first place, but the WPA option on my wireless security seems to be M.I.A. Suggestions? I already know I should secure it, I will do it later on tonight.

Any tips or explanations? :/ Thanks for reading the long post.

Essentially you can make this happen by setting up the restrictions in the system. But if you remove an IP from the DHCP table it does not propagate back to the system level. To do this you would have to stop the connection. You can easily do this with WiFi by interrupting the connection but not with a hard wired cable. I could be way off here…but this is what my coffeeless brain is telling me ATM…when I can think straight I will post again.

Admin from hell
0 0

To explain real quick, Deleting the ip from the DHCP client table will not cut them off only make them request a new ip address. Depending on what router you have you can get and ban the mac address of the computer which is riding your connection or limit how many connection you will allow, IE if you have 2 boxes at home allow 2 addresses only. But the bottom line is encrypt that bad boy as quick as possible. (I love unsecured wireless)

0 0

Alright. I secured the wireless router. That should help. Thanks for all the answers, I appreciate it guys!

0 0

Be sure to use WPA or WPA2, as anybody smart enough to use aircrack can crack a WEP key in a few minutes.

0 0

If you're really paranoid you can keep changing the network key every now and then. But then you would have to update the settings on all the computers as well.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]UnsungMaster wrote: Be sure to use WPA or WPA2, as anybody smart enough to use aircrack can crack a WEP key in a few minutes. You can also crack WPA/WPA2. It takes longer, but it can be done… [/quote] True, but you have to either use a dictionary and hope the password is in it, bruteforce it and hope the pass is really short, or get a quantum computer and solve it really quickly. That would be nice. But the coolest way to keep people off is screwing with unauthorized users. I'll update with the link soon.

Admin from hell
0 0

Or as I already posted just limit the number of computers to assign IP address's in the router set-up.