Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Cant switch to monitor mode

0 0

whan i try to switch my wireless card to monitor mode with

sudo iwconfig ath0 mode monitor

i get :

SET failed on device ath0; invalid argument

but i can use: [code] sudo ifconfig ath0 mode managed [code] why cant i switch to monitor mode?

0 0

I googled your problem : switch+wireless+card+to+monitor+mode

I found this in the first link :

#airmon.sh start wlan0

If that doesnt help , keep searching similar links .

Sorry if this wasnt usefull but im not very knowledgeable on wireless cards .

Tog go bog e , Neqtan

0 0

Neqtan wrote: I googled your problem : switch+wireless+card+to+monitor+mode I found this in the first link : #airmon.sh start wlan0 If that doesnt help , keep searching similar links . Sorry if this wasnt usefull but im not very knowledgeable on wireless cards . Tog go bog e , Neqtan

almost worked, you had the right idea i looked alot harder and found that you run

airmon-ng stop interface 
airmon-ng start interface

jus for other people as nooby as mee

0 0

I have an atheros card in my eee, but to get it to run, Ihave ti use

airmon-ng start wifi0

This creates a new interface, ath1, which is in monitor mode.

0 0

jjbutler88 wrote: I have an atheros card in my eee, but to get it to run, Ihave ti use

airmon-ng start wifi0

This creates a new interface, ath1, which is in monitor mode.

This will work just make sure you have a wireless card with an athero's chipset. Otherwise the 'madwifi' driver will not work and you will have the problem your having. I have this wireless http://www.netgear.com/Home/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxAdapters/WPN511.aspx and it works like a charm for everything i need it to do. You can buy it at most radio shacks for pretty damn cheap.