Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Uni Degree

0 0

Hey,

I am wanting to do a Bachelor of Information and Communications Technologies degree at Uni with my speciality being in Networking. Just curious, does anyone have any advice for me? I am not going to be enrolling for another year yet, but I would like to have as much knowledge before I start the course as possible.

Any advice is appreciated, flaming is appreciated even more…

Thanks

Hyperion

Banned
0 0

Advice on what, skills you should have or something? Please try to specify the subject on which you want advice on.

0 0

Also, what country are you in… this matters a bit too.

0 0

I'm guessing you're in the UK, americans would call it 'college' Just go to a few university fairs, see which universities offer the course you want, and check their entry requirements. Easy as pie :)

0 0

Hello :D

I am currently doing a Bsc Honours in Computer Networks aswell as a Cisco qualification (CCNA).

The best advice in my opinion is just never stop reading and learning anything and everything about computers. Do a lot of research and practice too :D

There are two types of people (in my opinion) that do a degree. There are the kind of people that do there work and go to Uni learning about computers or whateva, then there are those that spend every second of every day learning more than they are being taught and breaking boundarys! be the that kind of person!

Find some motivation to do well and realise why you get up every morning to learn then you can achive anything!

Hope this helps a little. And good luck! :D

Relentless.

0 0

japanesedude wrote: I'm guessing you're in the UK, americans would call it 'college'

and in france they call it 'le fac' lol for real.

my adivce is go to the proffessor's office hours. especially to the ones that do research or have had a good career prior to getting into academia (always check their resume's). in office hours you can talk to them with more time and ask them all you want and even some questions that dont have much to do with the course. not only they appreciate it (they really do) but also it will get you a better grade, and increase your knowledge.

im currently taking Com Sci, and as said above, do more than expected. research things youre not asked to, and subscribe to some RSS news related to your field to keep up to date with new stuff.

0 0

R3l3ntl3ss wrote: then there are those that spend every second of every day learning more than they are being taught and breaking boundarys! be the that kind of person!

Find some motivation to do well and realise why you get up every morning to learn then you can achive anything!

Holy shit, we're NOT all doomed to ignorance. Listen to him… if you're not spending over 50% of your day on the computer, you don't want the knowledge bad enough.

As for the degree… sure, a Bachelor of Science in Networking is all good. My advice on where to go from there, though… would be to go into Network Engineering-type positions. The pay is definitely there and the revelation of networking internals can be quite fascinating when dealing with it at that level.

Anyways, good luck. A Bachelor's degree takes a lot of devotion to your field to complete.

0 0

Sorry, not really related to the thread, but in Abertay, Dundee Scotland they do a 4 year ethical hacking course.

That's where you will find me

:D

0 0

xxSk1N_D33Pxx wrote: Sorry, not really related to the thread, but in Abertay, Dundee Scotland they do a 4 year ethical hacking course.

That's where you will find me

:D

They also do an Ethical Hacking certification (CEH) that won't take you NEARLY 4 years to complete but, most likely, will cover a lot of what you'd get with the course. If your interest is such and you're planning on going to school, start with networking degrees; then, move up to information security. That will make you more well-rounded as a professional.

0 0

im tranfsering to a uni for computer security. :D all computer all the time… screw math and science… english and history

0 0

I'm going to a college for a degree in networking/cyber security. i don't know if thats the same as what you guys are talking about.

0 0

only_samurai wrote: im tranfsering to a uni for computer security. :D all computer all the time… screw math and science… english and history

sweet! i have to do so much non-comp sci crap every semester! #^#%^@$ it!

0 0

i don't know how it is over there but over here is the U.S. you take like 4 general ed clases then the rest is some required like networking+, network security then you take some electives related to you field of study like java, visual basic, c++. in total you spend like maybe 2 three month semesters doing boo boo classes.

0 0

spyware wrote: Advice on what, skills you should have or something? Please try to specify the subject on which you want advice on.

Yea, I want to know what I should already know, especially about networking as that is going to be my speciality

only_samurai wrote: Also, what country are you in… this matters a bit too.

Australia

japanesedude wrote: I'm guessing you're in the UK, americans would call it 'college' Just go to a few university fairs, see which universities offer the course you want, and check their entry requirements. Easy as pie :)

I am in Australia, I have checked out the courses and prerequisits and requirements, I have picked the course already.

Edit Oh yea, one more thing. With all the Bachelor degrees in computing, during the first year you have to do Java programming 1 and 2. I have never tried programming in Java, where would be a god place to start???

Banned
0 0

Rawr123 wrote: here

Teehee, think, again.

0 0

Rawr123 wrote: here No java there, you might try looking here though.

0 0

Oh, I thought it said java-script. I apologize for misinforming.

0 0

Rawr123 wrote: Oh, I thought it said java-script. I apologize for misinforming.

"IT said" LMAO XD reminds me of cartman XD

0 0

i'll tell you where not to look…http://java.sun.com/ it is the most confusing website i've ever seen in my life.

0 0

only_samurai wrote: im tranfsering to a uni for computer security. :D all computer all the time… screw math and science… english and history

lol, same here , if i don't i'll nver suffice into getting degree having to do all that boring uninteresting stuff…i have no motivation with all that shizz in the mix :)

0 0

if you want java advice, there used to be plenty of articles on HBH, http://www.hellboundhackers.org/search.php is your friend.

java is a piece of cake tbh, very easy to learn, with a nice syntax. you'll love it if you love computers. such an elegant language. looks lovely in the compiler.

0 0

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THAT YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN CISCO.. so doit !!!!!!! used a program called packet tracer, it simulates a networking enviornment