Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Ethernet connection doesn't work on windows :(

0 0

My internet keeps disconnecting since i changed isp to BT, alot of the time when am playing online games, which is really pissing me off especially when in a clan match :@ I also changed my router when i switched to bt, because my other 1 stopped working. Setup -

Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G

D-Link DSL-G624T router

BT Option 1

btw i cant try try connecting with a Ethernet cable to see if it still disconnects because my computer is up stairs and wont reach :xx:

Any help appreciated.

..oh yeah and i know its not a problem with the linksys wireless adapter, because my psp internet disconnected also.

0 0

my advice would be:

• try moving the computer to a different point in the room.

• make sure there are no microwaves/cordless phones near. they can affect the signal

• see if there are driver updates

recently my connection was randomly dying. the ISP said that as we had recently upgraded (so this would maybe apply to you as you have recently changed) the line takes about 10 days to collaborate. you may see huge changes in speed and it may disconnect.

anyway, it hasnt disconnected in a while so maybe it will sort itself out…

posted before you edited

0 0

I use bell and have this problem frequently. Try connecting to the net, open MSN or something, and then pick up a phone (cordless if you have one) and walk around the house for a second. I think the phones frequency interferes with my router, and if it is the same for you, at least you know the problem.

0 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTT8wdN_VA

if your router is supported then this is worth a shot: link here basically it gets rid of the usually rubbish default software and puts some better software on.

Also try making sure no-one is on the internet in your house and running a packet sniffer to see if a neighbor is using it without your permission.

You could change ISP to be internet. Im not trying to advertise but £24 for 24mb/second and its unlimited without a fair usage policy.

0 0

thanks for the help every1, i forgot to mention i have a dynamic ip address and every time it disconnects and reconnects i have a new ip, also when it does disconnect it stays connected to the access point but not to the internet.

0 1

had exactly same problem.

its bloody wireless and the to do with the distance from you and the router. on top of any reflective surfaces and concrete it has to travel through.

i solved the problem by buying 20 metres of network cable and connecting my computer to the network that way. not only does my connection never fail, but its more than twice the speed of what i was running with wireless.

so my suggestion, buy metres of network cable and connect it that way.

0 0

Mr_Cheese wrote: had exactly same problem.

its bloody wireless and the to do with the distance from you and the router. on top of any reflective surfaces and concrete it has to travel through.

i solved the problem by buying 20 metres of network cable and connecting my computer to the network that way. not only does my connection never fail, but its more than twice the speed of what i was running with wireless.

so my suggestion, buy metres of network cable and connect it that way.

Ok just ordered a 30m network cable, should come in a couple of days and hopefully it will work then :whoa: . will post again once i got it to say if it works or not :)

0 1

hopefully that should sort the problem, and will deffinatly give you faster network speeds.

be prepared to spend 1/2 the day trying to clip and fit the dam network cable into the RJ45 clips…. sounds easy until you learn each tiny cable has an order it has to go in. have fun with that ;)

0 0

Ok I've got the network cable, but it doesn't show up in network connections, it only shows wireless network connection, vmware and blue tooth, no local area connection :( any1 know how to get the local area connection back up?

0 0

What is your problem exactly. When you plug the LAN In does it just not show up?

0 0

FireSaleHaxor wrote: What is your problem exactly. When you plug the LAN In does it just not show up?

The lan connection is not even detected in device manager :( am using "Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI" motherboard which is on board lan. i know its not dead as it's lit up at back.

0 1

you gone through the network setup to setup a new LAN?

is the workgroup the right name?

0 0

ye, its a problem with windows because when i got wireless i had to set it up with Linux, because the Ethernet connection wasn't even shown as connection, nor is the onboard lan :(

0 0

Well,

to be honest,that's what you get from wireless crap! wireless is crap,not secure,and has loads of dis advantages. There is 1 advantage,and that is you have no cables. But,hardwired connections are secure,and wont break down due to intereferrance from other devices.Just don't buy wireless,and if you do, just accept that it is crappy.Sure if it runs,it might be oke, but then its just waiting for the next breakdown.r the next person to call your house,and make your cnnection go haywire. WIRELESS DEVICES YOU CAN GET FOR YOUR HOME SUCK! HARDWIRED CONNECTIONS RULE!

:happy:

0 0

indeed, wireless is crap in many many cases. however, unless you find trailing a 30m cable around the house with you and fitting it in your garden fun, then wireless may be a better choice.

everyone knows it isnt for gaming. that kind of goes without saying but new technologies such as 802.11n are significantly closing the gap on the speed issue. wikipedia says:

Data Rate (Typ) Data Rate (Max) Range (Indoor) 74 Mbit/s 248 Mbit/s (2 streams) ~70 meters

sure, n routers are expensive, but, as my friend found out, it can make a significant difference to online gaming ie, he can actually play rather than sit for 5 mins waiting for the lag to subside.

back to the topic, have you got an ethernet card you could nick from somewhere and try it to see if it detects anything?

0 0

nope all I've got is onboard which works on linux but not windows :( how do i get it to work on windows, whats the problem? motherboard is a 'ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI' the specs are here -

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=714159465

I've tried look for drivers but can't find any what work :(

0 0

anymore help please? :(

0 0

btw this COULD actually be a problem with the line going into your house, or the quality of service you are receiving. I have no idea how to test for QOS, or even what it is about, but I suggest you google it, and if your results are particularly low, contact your ISP.

0 0

dizzydawg wrote: btw this COULD actually be a problem with the line going into your house, or the quality of service you are receiving. I have no idea how to test for QOS, or even what it is about, but I suggest you google it, and if your results are particularly low, contact your ISP.

am pretty sure its a problem with windows, just don't know why as i already said it works on linux :xx:

0 0

CyberSpider wrote: nope all I've got is onboard which works on linux but not windows :( how do i get it to work on windows, whats the problem? motherboard is a 'ABIT Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI' the specs are here -

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=714159465

I've tried look for drivers but can't find any what work :(

From the link you posted, I can tell that you might need to get the nForce Chipset driver if you haven't already. Check out Nvidia's website to get the recent one; that might help in restoring the NIC. If not…

Try finding out what kind of onboard NIC is on the board (using the manufacturer's website or Google), then just search for the correct driver on Google.

So, your NIC isn't showing up in Device Manager… did you try right-clicking the Computer Name and clicking "Scan for New Hardware"? If that doesn't work, then download the driver for your onboard NIC, click "Add New Hardware" (in System Properties), and choose to manually install a NIC / Ethernet device. When it asks for a driver, use the one you downloaded.

Once you've done all that, let us know how it went.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote:

From the link you posted, I can tell that you might need to get the nForce Chipset driver if you haven't already. Check out Nvidia's website to get the recent one; that might help in restoring the NIC. If not…

Try finding out what kind of onboard NIC is on the board (using the manufacturer's website or Google), then just search for the correct driver on Google.

So, your NIC isn't showing up in Device Manager… did you try right-clicking the Computer Name and clicking "Scan for New Hardware"? If that doesn't work, then download the driver for your onboard NIC, click "Add New Hardware" (in System Properties), and choose to manually install a NIC / Ethernet device. When it asks for a driver, use the one you downloaded.

Once you've done all that, let us know how it went.

ok i downloaded nForce Chipset driver and now it comes up at startup that there was a problem starting windows and gives the start up options, the ethernet works on safe mode with networking, normal windows only starts if i choose 'restore to most recently working'. :(

0 0

CyberSpider wrote: ok i downloaded nForce Chipset driver and now it comes up at startup that there was a problem starting windows and gives the start up options, the ethernet works on safe mode with networking, normal windows only starts if i choose 'restore to most recently working'. :(

When it comes up with the startup options, it should give you the option to step into or confirm each step of the Windows boot process. If you can manage that, do so; that way, you can see what's causing it to reboot. If not, then you're stuck trying to repair your OS or isolate a hardware issue.

If you have a second hard drive, install Windows on that and swap it with the first one; then, check to see if the NIC is found. If you don't have a second hard drive, try removing any PCI cards you have and booting into Windows normally.

The key thing to remember is that Safe Mode only loads the necessary drivers; normal mode loads all drivers and startup programs, so those are your most likely offenders.

0 0

Sorted :D Just formated my hard drive and reinstalled windows on it. Works fine now. Thank You very much for all the help Zephyr_Pure <3 :happy:

0 0

No problem. Just be careful to have reasonable security measures in place (AV, AS, some kind of firewall) and be careful what you download / allow to run on your computer.