Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

what assigns the ip addresses.

0 0

hi.. every one.

i have a very basic doubt. say i am setting up a network(ethernet) with 1000 nodes.

This is how i will connect. ( correct me if i am wrong)

1. first i will get connection from ISP.
  2. ISP to router(which runs operating system on it and routes all the packets to respective networks). through firewall if necessary
  3. router to switch/hub. ( i know that switch will also have an OS running on it. but i am not sure about hub)
  4. hub/switch to switch/hub (if necessary)
  5. finally to nodes(computers)

is my network completeQ my doubt is that

1. how does the ip assigning takes place?
  2. what assigns the ips to all the nodes?

please.. if you find any links helps me. suggest few.

0 0

that's a Dynamic Router Setup, which translates into a DHCP IP address assignment by your router. The hub/switches will only serve as mediums in connection the other PCs.

0 0

can tell me in a bit detail.

pointers are most appreciated.

0 0

your ISP assigns one ip address, this will be your router's "external" ip address. your router then assigns internal ip addresses to whatever nodes you have. then all your computers will have different ip's within your local network, but they share the same external ip. so when you connect to the internet they all have the same address as far as the site you're connecting to is concerned..

0 0

so, its the routers job. to assign ips to all the computers hubs/switches connected to it.

switch runs an OS because it has to deliver packet to particulat ip. what about HUB does it also run an OS. on itQ