Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

New programming challenge

0 0

From the past experience of programming challenge, the competition we're not done the way it should have been done. There were lack of control, preparation, rigor, etc. It has cause many problem and the total failure of the last one.

If we want to have them back we need a little bit more preparation and organisation. What I propose is a a completly new structure for it, that should put the challenge at a better level.

So let's start with what I propose.

Part 1 - Finding the subject of the competetion (What must we code ?)

This is one of the mistake that was done in the past programming challenge. The subject was too vague and unclear.

Good example : You must code a sciencifict caculator.

Bad example : Code something that can be use in everyday life (That was the last programming competition subject)

Part 2 - Finding in which language it should be restricted to.

Why doing that ? Simple, if we can't evaluate and test what some people are submitting, how you deal with that ?

Example : It must be code in any of the following language : VB/VB.net, C/C++/C#, MASM.

Part 3 - On what are we evaluate and how much each part count for

In the past programming challenge, we actaully know on what people were looking at, but we didn't knew if a part count for more or less than an other. Also the code never got noted, so we couldn't really knew what was to ameliorate.

Example :

Code Part : Optimization : 10 pts Indentation ( Is the code clear to read ) : 5 pts Comments : 5 pts Organisation of the code : 10 pts Good use of the language : 5 pts

GUI : Easy to use : 10 pts Originality : 5 pts Apparence : 10pts

Also each script send should have a fiche on which we can see the note it got for what it's evaluated.

Part 4 - The judge

We need to have judge to evaluate the code. They shouldn't necessary be part of staff. All they need is to have a good base in programming (minimum of 3 years of programming) and should know the language there are evaluating a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot lot …

Also there must be at least 2 judge. And each judge must evaluate all the code, than an average between the two note to have the final note of each script.

Conclusion

Why have this ? Simple, you've seen what happen with the programming challenge, than you know why. I also post that since I want to take back these competition. For the people who have complete most of the challenge this is the only challenge left.

Any taker ?

0 0

I think it'd be cool to start having programming challenges. It'll expand HBH even more, and it'd start showing real life examples of some things you can do with it. I'm with bringing them back, but it's gotta be done right so that it won't shit the bed (heh-heh) again and be rid of.

0 0

That's why I want to take them back personnally since everyone who organisaned them before don't want to take them back for really understandable reason. This time I want to take them back with a very orginanised way so that I don't fail like the last one.

Also I forgot a part 5 ( The deadline ) :

Yes we must decide a deadline were all submission that are send after this deadline will not be consider in the challenge. This is the main reason why it fail last time.

I'll be glad to talk with any admin that have time, so that I can put the new structure in place if it's accepted of course.

0 0

Bump.

I want an admin to add a reply about it if it can be done and I want to know if people are interested in doing it.

Python Ninja
0 0

yeah… i'm all for it. but if we're going to limit the languages, we should make sure they aren't all C++ and PHP. we should use other ;anguages as well… like i dunno… PYTHON!! lol

it would also be fun to have ones where they must be in BASIC or batch, to see how creative and user friendly people can make a purely procedural language.

0 0

This sounds like great fun :D

0 0

That's the points of programming competition, being fun and make us do something different from what we are use to.

0 0

Yep an other bump, topic don't stand long on the front page. I just want to know who will be interest in having them back. If there is only two personn who care about it, I'll just left.

0 0

Sounds great, I'm all for bringing the programming challenges back.

0 0

Okay my little biatches,

A programming competition will be scheduled, taking note of all of Arto's points in the original post.

system_meltdown and I will be judging.

All information will be posted in the news - Just not yet ;)

I like to keep you all in suspense

0 0

id be up for a new programming challenge, havent done one yet and the last one was full of conflict :)

0 0

This is an excellent Idea. It forces members to come be creative, in that theres no one answer. Not only that, its a real experience, whereas hacking challenges can only be as real as you make them. Not only that, but who doesn't enjoy coding:):):)

0 0

Well, that was a pointless, COLOSSAL bump. :|

ynori7 wrote: this thread died like 9 months ago in case you guys didnt notice That was the point of my post, so please just direct your comment to "that guy up there".

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

this thread died like 9 months ago in case you guys didnt notice