Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Game competition

0 0

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since I posted on here, I've been busy with work and all the usual stuff, but basically I'm on my holidays now, and I was wondering if anyone was interested in partaking in a game development competition?

I'm open to ideas as to how we could run it, but my initial plan was to perhaps hold the event over a 3 day period. There would be 3 deadlines in total; within the first 24 hours of the competition, participants must submit a high level design of the game, maybe a few sketches of how it would look, or a few details on the game objectives etc. Within 48 hours, we would have to post screenshots of the source and if available, some screens of how the game looks. The final deadline would be the actual submission of the game, with the source included (in the interest of learning)

Meeting these deadlines would be the only real constraints on you, you can pick any game type and develop in any language. We could then ask the community members to vote on which game they like best for whatever reason, e.g. graphics/gameplay/how well it was coded etc

I suppose more than anything it would serve as a productive way to pass the time if your bored…

If your interested, just reply here and if we get enough people on board, we'll set up some form of a system for the whole regulation side of things…

Cheers, Demi

0 0

MoshBat wrote: You've not specified what type of game, people have different tastes in games, I myself like shooting the shit out of people, so there will be bias on the genre of game.

I said it could be any game type, shooters, racers, whatever…

MoshBat wrote: It's also best to discuss competition ideas with the Administration team alone, at least that's the way it's always been done.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this, but still, it wouldn't necessarily have to be ran through this site, I was just throwing the idea out there…

MoshBat wrote: Also, you expect people to be able to make decent games in three days? You may get one entry, if that, and it will be awful. Notice the deadlines on other competitions? About two months for the signature one, and that's just graphics. I think you need to go back to the drawing board, and leave competitions to the people who run the site.

I'm fully aware the 3 day deadline is very tight, but thats part of the fun! All entries, awful or excellent, would be welcome. Its not like people have to code a physics-capable 3d game engine, if they want, it could be a text based game, or just a little side scroller, whatever they want….

0 0

holy shit moshbat, stfu and code some perl game.

It's an awesome contest if enough people join in. Judging by the amount of people who know how to use RegEx on HBH, I'd say your chances are slim to none. At best.

0 0

Individuals or teams? What format? e.g web/standalone.. blah What OS should be aimed for? Who's judging? I know you said "maybe people could vote" or whatever, but that shouldn't be a maybe, you need a definite method.

But yeah, apart from a few murky bits, I'd probably be interested.

Although surely you'll be wanting to wait a few days until starting this, being that it will quite soon be Christmas and many of the people on here will be busy a lot of the time because of that.

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: Individuals or teams?

I was thinking more along the lines of individual submissions

reaper4334 wrote: What format? e.g web/standalone.. blah

Either would be accepted

reaper4334 wrote: What OS should be aimed for?

I suppose Windows by default, as I'm pretty sure everyone on here has access to a Windows box

reaper4334 wrote: Who's judging? I know you said "maybe people could vote" or whatever, but that shouldn't be a maybe, you need a definite method.

Yeah we'd just get people to download and play the games, and then they can vote. Its probably the easiest approach.

reaper4334 wrote: But yeah, apart from a few murky bits, I'd probably be interested.

Although surely you'll be wanting to wait a few days until starting this, being that it will quite soon be Christmas and many of the people on here will be busy a lot of the time because of that.

Yes mate, it won't be starting right away, just wanted to get it posted up here for a few days to see how many would be interested…

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]demifuror wrote: I said it could be any game type, shooters, racers, whatever…

You missed my point. People will vote for games of genres they like, not necessarily on the actual game/content/code itself. [/quote]

I find that hard to believe, anyone that votes for a game based purely on the genre rather than the actual content would have to be classed as clinically retarded.

MoshBat wrote: [quote] Sorry, I wasn't aware of this, but still, it wouldn't necessarily have to be ran through this site, I was just throwing the idea out there…

There are Game development/design forums. Why a "hacking" forum? [/quote]

This is just one of the forums I would frequent moreso than others, just thought it was worth a shot…

0 0

Of course, cheating is always going to be possible somewhere along the way, but the main point of the competition is just to see what people can come up with in 3 days

But if we were to list a number of features the game must have, we could have each participant create a game specification, and then, on the day, assign each participant a randomly selected specification, and from there, we see what people come up with…

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Three days is a pretty unrealistic deadline for a competition like this. We all (hopefully) have lives and other things to do. What's the motivation to try to get this thing done in such a short span of time? What is the prize for winning?

0 0

ynori7 wrote: What is the prize for winning?

The act of winning is the prize. It's a purely semantical binary switch, but most persons derive pleasure when being assigned the "winner" label.

0 1

well, I don't think that 3 days would be enough for most games, and I suggest a time period, and even in the experimental gameplay project site does it in 7 days, and it seems more realistic.

While these games are pretty minimalistic, they're still pretty fun to play, so I don't think there is a need for a game with too many features. The games they make only do one thing, and they did well at it too.

check out the results at:

http://experimentalgameplay.com/blog/2009/09/bare-minimum-roundup/

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Compromise wrote: The act of winning is the prize. It's a purely semantical binary switch, but most persons derive pleasure when being assigned the "winner" label. Ah, so that's motivation enough then huh. So spy, are you motivated to participate?

Banned
0 0

I'd try this, if it gets going. Though, my last projects have been a bit too big for a lone developer… (me)

Admin from hell
0 0

I think this does belong more in a gaming forum than here. Designing games does nothing for me.

0 0

korg wrote: I think this does belong more in a gaming forum than here. Designing games does nothing for me.

Designing games = programming = a core aspect of hacking.

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

I think i will make crazy math also. the TV remote = Punching buttons = Keyboards = programming = hacking

0 0

demifuror wrote: But if we were to list a number of features the game must have, we could have each participant create a game specification, and then, on the day, assign each participant a randomly selected specification, and from there, we see what people come up with… Then each participant would just make a really complex specification for someone else to end up with?

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: I myself like shooting the shit out of people, so there will be bias on the genre of game.

So do I! Play Xbox360? (COD: MW2 maybe?)

Let me know. lol

-Bl4ck

Retired
10 0

I don't like the idea myself. As mosh said, too many holes, not enough time would be allocated, and i don't think enough people would attempt it.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]bl4ckc4t wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: I myself like shooting the shit out of people, so there will be bias on the genre of game.

Let me know. lol

-Bl4ck[/quote] PC. Combat Arms America's Army Counter Strike Source (+1.6) COD WaW.[/quote]

Damn, was hoping to have another person on the 360 that plays MW2.

0 0

bl4ckc4t wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]bl4ckc4t wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: I myself like shooting the shit out of people, so there will be bias on the genre of game.

Let me know. lol

-Bl4ck[/quote] PC. Combat Arms America's Army Counter Strike Source (+1.6) COD WaW.[/quote]

Damn, was hoping to have another person on the 360 that plays MW2.[/quote] I totally go for Rainbow Six for the PC. Cheats + auto aim = so much fun…

0 0

MoshBat wrote: PC. Counter Strike Source (+1.6)

Still play source often? I play every now and then, but not much due to being VAC banned, my younger cousin mainly uses my account now.. but, if you fancy a game.. I imagine you'd be a pretty good challenge..