Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

0 0

Hey guys I am going to make a website and allow ppl to host their files and have their own directories of 5 gigs of space. I was wondering as to how I would make the computer both an ftp server and be able to host a domain?

0 0

would you provide SHELLS, too? or just File StorageQ

0 0

I think you need a static IP and the permission from the internet provider to run a web server. They probably would help you with choosing and registering a domain . Software http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html and for designing web pages for example Joomla or Mambo .

0 0

Ok I'm bored so I'll reply to this thread.

You don't need explicit permission from your isp I think, but you will probably want a pretty damn fast connection.

and take a look at this: http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html

0 0

so Would i have to first make the computer ftp compatible then host the domain apache or DTC?

0 0

well, you could just install an ftp server on your pc if that's all you want to do :/

0 0

but thats not all i want to do i want the public to be able to connect to it via web and do what they want but i don't know where to start…. First i set up ftp server? then host domain? but then i need a GUI for dealing with files…anybody knwo of one?

0 0

if youre just doing this for the sake of it itll be a lot of effort. but first set up a static ip for your comp by contacting your isp. then download and set up ftp server software. then try to configure it to what you want, e.g. 5gb quota e.t.c. and there you have it.

0 0

kool thank you and idk i need some cash and i have an extra box and a couple ppl said they'd buy some ftp space for some cash a month. Do you reccomend any ftp software?

0 0

The schema is simple but implementing it can be tricky

first what you need: -web server[Apache/PHP/MySQL] -FTP server -a dedicated server[the hardware] -a fast internet connection -a domain name

Now think how much money you want to invest, and yeah you don't need accord to run an webserver but maybe you need another type on connectiong(gigabyte)

then you must think how to setup the ftp server so each user have access just to his webspace, and can use only x amount of space.

i want to start a hosting/domain registration bussiness and when i see what i need to do i' like wtf so first you need a good plan and some support