Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

problem with hdd

0 0

i have one old computer (desktop) and i have win2000 os on it. but this computer is not much fast, so i must delete this os and replace it with win98… but i have problem. i must first copy the install files into that hdd, and then run the installation proccess via the boot diskette. but i must COPY that fucking files on that hdd… i´ve planned that i´ll take out the hdd and give it to my computer, where i´ll format it and copy that install files. but when i plug it into IDE slot on my GIGABYTE, and then run pc, windows (i have dual boot, fedora core 6, and grub) wont boot, i have only black screen… when i take out it from the pc, everything is normal. i tryed it on another computer, but it was same… and on that another computer theres no grub, no fedora, only windows. and it doesnt work it too. anybody can help me? is it in that hdd… or something else? thanks in advance for help

0 0

Hi,

did your hdd was in slave mode or ?

0 0

What Chipset you have? 945+? Just because if you have plugged it in the additional slots (IDE) you will have to enable RAID from BIOS.

0 0

no, my hdd wasnt in the slave mode there isnt any jumper or something else i have already enabled raid, because i have two hdd actually on it… one 120, second 250, and with this hdd from that old computer it is three… 120 gb is ide, 250 is sata… on the model, i cant tell it to you for now, because i am in the work… i have only thing: its a prototype, not new, and i know first two letters GA, or ZA, sorry i dont know for now… my friend told that this mainboard was good prototype, i can connect to it 4 ide (hdd) and 2 sata, maybe more… its not new

0 0

dancuc wrote: i must first copy the install files into that hdd, and then run the installation proccess via the boot diskette. but i must COPY that fucking files on that hdd… No, there's an easier way to do it :)

1. Create a bootdisk with CD support (for example Win98 or WinME Bootdisk)
  2. Start the computer from the bootdisk, select to boot with CD support

You will now see one of the following lines: Unit X: = driver MSCD001 Unit X: = driver OEMCD001

1. Run X:\setup (replace X with the drive unit from step 3).
  2. Press enter to perform a system check and then the installation starts automatically

0 0

I agree with Uber0n… as an additional consideration, you will probably have to reinstall Grub, after you install Win98, to have your dual-boot functional again. Windows OS's have a tendency to overwrite the MBR with their NTLDR-related stuff.

0 0

no you probably dont understand me. computer with dualboot is mine, and i dont want to reinstall it. i want to reinstall that old computer as i write. that old comp has now win2000, but it isnt too fast, so i must place here win98. the problem is that this comp hasnt cd-rom, so i must copy the install files onto the hdd of that old comp and then install it via boot diskette.

0 0

dancuc wrote: <snip> …windows (i have dual boot, fedora core 6, and grub)

…on that another computer theres no grub, no fedora, only windows. and it doesnt work it too.

Your post was a bit misleading. So, I guess you have two options here:

1. Attach the older system's HDD as a secondary drive in your current system (making sure to set the jumpers on both to allow for a master-slave setup), copy the 98 files over, move the HDD back into the old system, and start the install with the boot diskette.

2. Move the CD drive from your current system into your older system and run the 98 CD on the older system.

The first option is probably your best bet, as you may have BIOS issues with the CD drive in the older system. However, both are worth a try. And, yes, I read the part where you tried plugging up the old HDD in your current system and it didn't work… make sure your jumpers are set correctly and that you choose your primary drive in the boot order when starting up (if needed).

0 0

ok, i will try, but… i have little question, when i put my cruzer micro flash drive into the pc, will the backtrack 2 linux live cd detect it? if yes, i can practically copy it via that linux…

0 0

dancuc wrote: ok, i will try, but… i have little question, when i put my cruzer micro flash drive into the pc, will the backtrack 2 linux live cd detect it? if yes, i can practically copy it via that linux…

(Assuming you mean that you will be trying to boot Backtrack 2 off of a USB drive.)

If the BIOS on the older computer supports booting from USB, then yes. I doubt it, though… try it and see.

For that matter, if you can boot from USB, just use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and some Win98 system files (usually found where you find the utility, as a separate download), create a 98 boot disk on the USB drive, and you'll have the ability to both fdisk the hard drive and copy files to it.

0 0

yeah that is usable… thanks to all for help ;)