Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

HP laptop power saving slows down CPU

0 0

I think some power saving options slow down my cpu in my HP Pavilion zv5000us. Am I sure? Everything becomes fast for a moment and then it extremely slows down all the time. How do I fix it?

0 0

Specs of the Laptop? When did this start? What type of powersaving features? Really just give us all a shed load of info about your laptop and the problem please ;)

EDIT: does it still slow down with power saving mode off?

0 0

sorry its HP Pavilion zv5201us. Specification: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00212792&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&product=423746&lang=en# Product Name zv5201us US Product Number PF128UA#ABA Microprocessor Intel Celeron processor - 2.8 GHz Microprocessor Cache 128KB L2 Cache Memory 256MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB ) at 266MHz Memory Max 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB, 1 x 1024MB ) Video Graphics ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP Video Memory 64MB DDR (shared) Hard Drive 30GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive Multimedia Drive 24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive Display 15.0-inch XGA TFT (1024 x 768) Display Fax/Modem Integrated v.90/v.92 56KB modem (RJ-11 connector) Network Card Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) Sound 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro-compatible audio; internal Harman/Kardon speakers; AC audio link; volume control button and mute button Keyboard 101-key compatible Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down pad PC Card Slots

* One Type I/II 32-bit card bus (also supports 16-bit)

External Ports

* Three Universal Serial Bus (USB ) 2.0
* One Parallel SPP/ECP standard interface
* One headphone-out
* One microphone-in
* One VGA (15-pin)
* One TV-Out (S-video)
* One RJ-11 (modem)
* One RJ -45 (LAN)
* One notebook expansion port

Dimensions 11.18 inches(L)(w/out hinge) to 11.59 inches(L)(w/hinge) x 14.25 inches(W) x 1.8 inches(H) Weight 7.9 lbs

Power

* 120W AC adapter
* 8-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

It was bought in Iraq.

I know its sh*t but I'm going to buy a new desktop computer this month. Possibly Dell Inspiron 531. [edit] I think it slows down CPU to save energy but it does it even when its not working on battery, so how to turn it off? [/edit]

^^ Great work Xelloss! Well Done, You Found Exploits, lol!!!

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

I've been having the same issue with my Dell Inspiron 9200 which is still not 100%, but look in your BIOS and look for a tag called "CPU Throttling" and turn it off. It may be under a different name depending on the vendor, but it should be in there.

I did that on mine and it helped a bit….the speeds were not as erratic, but it's still slow. I think my processor or my video card processor is damaged…

0 0

betabotisback your laptop is not going to be lighting quick, you only have 256Mb of RAM, i dont know how laptop chipsets work. but some of this may also be used by your video adapter. upgrading your RAM is sure to improve performance.

EDIT: Sorry, read your specs again, if you have 256 megs of RAM, and 64Mb of that is shared with your video, you effectively only have 192 megs of RAM, i would suggest getting some more RAM even more now. you may notice that this fixes your problem, if not i dont know entirely what to do as i have limited experince with laptops.