Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Hard Drive Problems.

0 0

Im backing up all my important data to an external HD. but ive got 2 4gb ISO files to copy, when i try to it tells me there is not enough disk space and to free some up. strange thing is my main C: drive has 67Gb Free, and the External has 177Gb free. I would just burn these ISO's to DVD, but i dont have a DVD burner :(

The Localhost Hacker
20 0

Sometimes you can only copy a certain amount at one timeā€¦have you tried compressing them in some way?

0 0

What file system is on the drive you are trying to copy to?

0 0

There is nothing else copying at the time.

the file system is FAT32. thinking about it this may well be the problem.

yep, thanks for that, cant have a file over 4Gb on FAT32. Balls.

0 0

Theres a windows utility to convert the file system to NTFS, and it keeps all the data intact.

0 0

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt Open the Command Prompt (cmd) window. In the command prompt window, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

(Taken from windows xp's Help and Support)

0 0

It worked?

0 0

Didnt change the file system, i used WinRAR to split the files. I share the drive with my family, and my mates use it occasionally for backups when formatting so i didnt want to change too much of it.