Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Cd rom problems.

0 0

Hey guys have some problems with my cd drive.

At first the drive wouldn't open at all but recently some how i got it to work. But the problem i am having is that it doesn't read disks and also i can not find the drive on my computer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this problem.

thanks

Greyhat in Training
0 0

Check that the IDE cable isn't damaged in any way.

0 0

well if you haven't physically done anything to it (moved from one computer to another, changed cables or something) and it all of a sudden stopped working then I'd say it's probably dead. cd drives are cheap though so I'd say just get a new one. just make sure it doesn't show up in your bios because if it does it's probably still good.

0 0

no damage to the cables.

and it does show up on bios. It has gone back to not working at all now. think its due to the virus i got earlier this year…. meh

once i get a xp copy i can boot up my hdd ( another new on i have bought ) cos i seem to have misplaced mine lol

oh well thanks for the help.

0 0

dami3n wrote: think its due to the virus i got earlier this year…. meh

i doubt it.

buy a dvd drive. so much better and you can watch dvds :D

0 0

hey, a mate had problems with his drive recently. he had to contact the manufacturer and it was to do with registry stuff. first, see if you can borrow an old drive or something and test it out. also, check to see if all the drivers are up to date.

0 0

dami3n wrote: no damage to the cables.

and it does show up on bios. It has gone back to not working at all now. think its due to the virus i got earlier this year…. meh

once i get a xp copy i can boot up my hdd ( another new on i have bought ) cos i seem to have misplaced mine lol

oh well thanks for the help.

Hmm… -First: Check the windows (or linux) if it can recognize the driver.

-Second: Check if the CD-ROM works generally (Try to boot a CD before the windows boots, like if youre installing windows…)

-Third: If you own it before 5 years, then throw it away and buy a new DVD-RW The prices decreased much :)

-Fourth: Check if theres a Hardware problem(Check the IDE cable, Power cable, Jumpers, etc.. or try the CD-ROM on another computer…)

Fifth: Check the Laser eye in the driver, if you can't (or its in warranty) get to the manufacturer.

Sixth: Check if you had installed any new Hardware/Software may conflict with the driver.

Seventh: May be a virus.

Eighth: If doesn't work after all that, remove it from the computer, and make it an Audio CD Player :P