Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

32 or 64bit

0 0

Ok, i recently built a computer, fairly basic and i got all the components for free so i didn't have much choice on what i got. But I've now been reading around and I'm under the impression that my new computer is 64bit capable. Ive done some googleing but i can only really find information on other people's PC's but not mine. So i figured id ask someone human ;) ok so my computer is this:

Abit NV8 Motherboard, Nforce4-4x chipset (http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?ProductID=820&categoryid=270 for full detials) AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU 1.8Ghz http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?AMD-S7306O 1Gb RAM (2x512Mb) 184-pin DDR PC3200 ATi Radeon x1300 series 256mb GDDR2 PCI-e

If in the case that this PC is 64bit capable, is it worth getting the x64 version of windows, or am i already using 64bit functionality? I really need some help, because to be honest i havent got a clue about this kind of stuff, so any help from you guys realy would be appreiciated

Thanks.

0 0

If the processor is 64bit compatible, then you will need the 64bit version of windows to take advantage of it.

0 0

Apparently 64Bit systems aren't very compatible with many programs, although the compatibility is getting better. I'd say wait a couple of years before getting a 64bit CPU.

0 0

Ive relaized that from my searhces, but i already have this system and am posting to you using it right now, but presumably im only using the processor in 32bit mode as its a Windows XP pro disk i built for my old computer, which i know to be the 32 bit copy of windows. Seeing as i already have this, is it worth getting x64?

0 0

I use windows xp media center, with an amd athlon64 cpu. The os is 32-bit, so I'm in the same boat, but I'd just as soon stick with the OS you have, because AMD processors are good and unless you're going to be running some really high-demand programs you probably won't need x64. It should be a lot faster, but as mentioned above, it is sometimes hard to find compatible programs for 64bit.

I'd install linux :p before I pay Micro$haft for anything else.

There are plenty of x64 distros, just look. About windows, it's about $150 so I try to stay away… there again, I'm also a mac user :p so thats a lot of $$ (but I got my stuff cheap :))

Just google, I don't know much about 64bit running 32bit progs, and I'd prefer running "slowly" in comparison than not being able to find a program I want. I really am not an expert on 64bit so you can disregard most of the above if you like haha. howstuffworks.com has a pretty good simple explanation of it if you want to check it out

Here's the url: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/microprocessor6.htm

0 0

Well lets just say i don't intend on paying Microsoft even if i do use the x64 edition of windows, Id love to use Linux, Ubuntu, i am simply in love with at the moment as i have it in a virtual machine, but i need the games and all that to run. I also had previous problems with Linux that have put me off using it.

I now have the 64bit edition of windows, so i'm just gunna back everything up and give it a go. If its any better and there arnt too many problems ill say so you can see if its worth it too.

Its easy to revert back anyway if it is all wrong, and 64bit applications are becoming more and more common these days.

Cheers

Python Ninja
0 0

well IMO ubuntu sux, but that's a different thread.

if you want to play games under linux contact me RE cedega. i can help you out.