Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Disable Shutdown

0 0

Can the power button be disabled? I am running Windows Xp and I have an issue with people turning off the pc. This is a problem because we use an SUS and they keep shutting it down during the scheduled update period. I have set through the gpo to not allow users to shutdown the pc without being logged in and I have set the power button to do nothing through power options – advanced. I have also have no option to disable acpi in the bios. I would like to keep the power button from functioning at all. I know I could "edit" the hardware but I was wondering if this can be controlled via software. I need to disable the shutdown when the power button is held in for several seconds. Any insight would be appreciated.

0 0

You can try to open the computer and plugg out the shutdown button cable, so when your done with the uppgrade you can just plugg i back on:right:

Or you can goto Control-Panel, Power Options, System Settings and choose what the power button does. I dont know if this work in XP tho…

0 0

Ayr4 wrote: You can try to open the computer and plugg out the shutdown button cable, so when your done with the uppgrade you can just plugg i back on:right:

Or you can goto Control-Panel, Power Options, System Settings and choose what the power button does. I dont know if this work in XP tho…

Or you can put silicon on the restart and shutdown button

0 0

Ayr4 wrote: You can try to open the computer and plugg out the shutdown button cable, so when your done with the uppgrade you can just plugg i back on:right:

If you hold down the Power Button, it WILL Shutdown anyway..

the best would be to plug out the Power Button…:D

0 0

Can't you disable soft off on most BIOS'?

0 0

Yeah, thx. I was hoping there was something I could do without opening the case but, oh well. I will just disconnect the button. Thanks for the input. :)

...Legend?
0 0

You won't be able to stop people turning it off, even if you disconnect the power on button, they can just pull out the mains :P lol

0 0

Lol dont disconnect the button!!!

Go in the screen saver settings, in the bottom of the window there is a button called "power". Go in the "advanced" tab. Here you can set up the action to execute when the button is pressed.

Now for disable the shutdown with the ctrl+alt+canc : go in the control panel, administrative tools, criteria of local protection, local criteria, assign user rights—> in the right window now you can see the option "shutdown or power off the system". Here you can select who is the user that can shutdown the pc. Play in this menu, you can disable che close session button too in the start menu.

I hope this help, im sorry but my domain use the italian language and maybe something is written in a different way.