Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Second HDD

0 0

ok so today i though i'd try ubuntu and i liked it, so i thought i'd install it on the slave HDD which is 250gb, and then i dident want the boot loader coming up all the time because my father uses the computer so i though i should get away with ubuntu so i put in the xp disk went into recover mode and used the fixmbr command

ok so the boot loaders gone but my second hdd is gone, well its their but i cant access it or see it in my computer all i have is my C drive

and if i go into my control panel>administrative tools>computer management. i can see the second hdd in disk managment but i have 2gb of unallocated partition? and i have no idea why im abit confused.

i've done some google searching and nothings helped. can anyone help? thanks. :)

The Manager
0 0

When you set up ubuntu you have to make sure GRUB is your main boot loader and not Windows. It will then give you a boot menu option. you will not be able to swap back and forth without running a VM. just so you know.

If I am wrong please let me know.

0 0

grab you a copy of Acronis Disk Director. it has a boot selector that you can set to always go to windows unless you hit a certain key combo when booting and then you can select ubuntu.

0 0

great thanks for that, i'll do that later, but is there anyway i can install ubuntu on my slave hdd without loseing it when i boot up windows?

The Manager
0 0

No. Linux uses a different File System than Windows.

0 0

ugh shame, so im guessing a partition wont work.

The Manager
0 0

there ARE ways of doing it…You could set it up as FAT32(not reccomended)

You could make the linux partition like 20GB and leave the rest for windows.

0 0

ok i've done it now thanks for the help :)