Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Need help fixing my computer

0 0

Right since there is no where else i could think off posting this i posted it in the off topic.

Recently i built my little brother a new pc. Everything was going fine until one day it wouldn't turn on. Couldn't even format the computer using xp format disks. The reason was that something had been deleted and windows could not look it up. So i thought ok ill format it from mine. Formated the hdd put it back in his comp and then it wouldn't even come up to a boot screen or anything said it was missing a file which is odd… so he got a new hdd and everything is fine now.

but….

Ever since i put that damn hdd in my computer windows takes ages to load up it seems to freeze. But once it has frozen it starts working again. I recently found out why it freezes its because a process is happening to disable some things on my comp. The only thing i am aware of is that it turns off the cd rom… so now i cant insert cd's so i cant reformat it. I even tried opening the cd rom drive when it first loads up and this worked. I left it open but as soon as windows loaded up the thing turned off and seemed like the cd rom was dead.

I know this seems a bit blurry and hard to understand, but i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of fixing this without having to buy a new hdd since money is a bit tight at the moment.

I have ran all sorts of virus scans. Had a look through hijack this and even have nod32 running and stil i cant seem to find anything.

Thanks.

0 0

try booting into safe mode?

0 0

Well I'm guessing your trying to reformat once windows is started up? Have you tried to boot from the CD and format that way? If it is a SATA HDD, just make sure you have your drivers for it if needed and there shouldn't be a problem. Or you could get a linux CD and format it from there; then once done once again try to boot from the CD and reinstall windows. (You built him a computer, but just in case you don't know - If it isn't giving you the option to boot from CD you might have to go into BIOS and change the booting order so CD boots before HDD.)

Python Ninja
0 0

thread moved to genreal computer problems.

also yes i believe that microsofts format tool is a load of ARSE.

i'd get some boot medium that lets for use Fdisk and hose everything that way.

0 0

Well it could possible be that your hardrive is screwed my advice download a program called MHDD its a really awesome hardrive diagnostic tool, burn it onto a cd and then load from it before you get into windows eg F8 and select to boot from your cd drive or Dvd drive which ever one you have got. Then from there is has alot of options which you can use, but you need the sacnning options which checks your hdd for damaged sectors and other crap, its a very good program so i suggest you download it, and test your other drive for any problems as well.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/ this is the site you can download it from

You could also try using parition magic to see if anything is wrong with the parition on the hdd, but yeh try those steps out unless you have done so already

0 0

thanks for the help but no sucess. I cant get to the bios screen. It just for some reason bypasses it when it open. I see the grey screen flash for like a milli second and then it goes back to the loading screen. I also cant use cd's at all the cd drive dies when windows loads that also means cds cant be loaded.

Sucks to say but gues i need a new hdd got to wait till next payday now :\

oh well thx