Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Computer Booting

0 0

My media computer won't boot. I added two harddrives recenthly and I think while I was doing so, something else got unplugged.

When it tries to boot, it beeps arround 5-6 times.

All I see unplugged is my sound card. Which has a small 4 small hole. Although I cannot find any 4 pin on my mother board the only place I see where it fits is the hard drive. But I might be wrong.

My skills in computer hardware isn't very good. So please be gentle… :p

0 0

did the additional hard drives work previously, before you connected them? And, o, are they SATA? More information means more help –

0 0

They were pretyt old harddrive. Needed a converter on my compouter and it never really worked properly thats why i added them in my old computer whioch they worked.

When i boot my coimputer my computer screen does not show anything. I unplugged my old hard drives and still the same problem occured thats how I know that it is not the hard drives fault. Unless it blew up my computer ofcourse…

Thanks

0 0

and did you installed RAID? if one hdd is SATA, and second IDE, they can be some problems with it

0 0

does beeps are warnings check you rmanual my guess is your RAM unplugged . it's not your sound card, the fact that it resets is it's due to something vital for it running. Tell us what your BIOS is and the nature of the beeps, eg: 1 short-2long-1short

Thos 4 holes sound like molex thingies, those are power cables in effect, like yellow, black, black, red. yes?

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: does beeps are warnings check you rmanual my guess is your RAM unplugged . it's not your sound card, the fact that it resets is it's due to something vital for it running. Tell us what your BIOS is and the nature of the beeps, eg: 1 short-2long-1short

Thos 4 holes sound like molex thingies, those are power cables in effect, like yellow, black, black, red. yes?

My ram seems well plugged. and yes, but there is no yellow its one black, one red, one white. with a 4 pin.

0 0

It's a molex power cable, please tell moi the nature of the beeps and the bios verson, atleast the type of computer, ie ibm, mac etc, and we'll have this kicked in about 5 mins.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: It's a molex power cable, please tell moi the nature of the beeps and the bios verson, atleast the type of computer, ie ibm, mac etc, and we'll have this kicked in about 5 mins.

One long beep. 2 short ones after that. then nothing.

0 0

on the whole thats a video card issue, which makes sense no video card no shoing error on screen. THAT DOESNT MEAN IT'S NOT RAM! I still recommend you chekc ram, and maybe your PSU sometimes they ar esoo poor they cant provide power to run extra stuff you've added in.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: on the whole thats a video card issue, which makes sense no video card no shoing error on screen

So the video card would be unplugged. Is it only a card I put in the slot. Or is it also connected to the mother board?

Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it greatly!

0 0

Mechanical89774 wrote: So the video card would be unplugged. Is it only a card I put in the slot. Or is it also connected to the mother board?

could almost be anything, check your ram is in the right way around fully clicked in in the right slot.

The video card could be in the wrong slot not in properly or the connecters bad, maybe you zapped it from some static when you opened up your pc (very unlikely) try it in another pc

Mechanical89774 wrote: Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it greatly! NP :)

0 0

Everything works! seems to be the graphic card.

so now for that 4 pin thing. does it go anywhere? I think i unplugged when i was adding the harddrives… Or does it not really matter and was most likely not plugged in before?

0 0

it's a power cable for HDD's floppies, etc, if a drive doesnt have one pu tit in there if all drives have one then it was unplugged originally, yes, the beeps imply it's the video/graphics card. maybe it's just not compatible with your motherboard.

0 0

well it boots now.

But now another problem occured. i unplugged my new harddrives to see if it will work like it did before. but. it goes hrough the first boot up screen then into the normal detecting screen. then the third screen with info about slvae floppy, cd drive. etc. But it stays on that screen and does not continue the process…

0 0

DO NOT READ ABOVE!!

I can't seem to edit my previous post. So i unplugged my old hard drives and works like it did before. But when I plug them, they get stuck on the third screen as I said above…

Thanks

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote:

sounds like a loose connection, or something, (sounds like it crashes at the BIOS hardware check)

okay then, check if the hard drives are onnected and so are the molex's. It could be that you rpsu cant run both effectivly, what is your psu's power etc

I done a quick search on google to learn what a PSU power is and looks liek the power supply if that is what u mean, my power supply is 300 watts…

0 0

okie do all the drives have a molex connector?

0 0

No. But i took out the floppy out of my computer to make space for the hard drives so Im guessing that is where the unpluygged one is. but i dont seem to see others…

0 0

So CD, DVD, HDD drives all have a molex?

Okie. I'm having a bit of trouble getting what you mean.

Your PC now boots, without beeping, BUT on booting it hangs at the hardware check? AND, without the a HDD plugged in the system boots?

0 0

It boots When one harddrive is in. When i plug in the other two, with that wide with hundreds of pins. and the other one with arround 6-8 pins… with the white…

When i plug in the other 2. it hangs at the screen…

0 0

does it matter which of them is pluged in? what is the os? and are all the drive spicked up in bios? There is potential problem, where lacking a boot loader, and Os's installed on more than one HDD,

0 0

ah no i havent set it up with the bios yet. So i need to do that in order to make them work?

Thanks

0 0

you shouldnt need to, just go into bios and check for the drives it's deteceted see if they are all there. Also, what order are they in on, like primay secondary slave etc

0 0

My master seems to be my cd drive. and the rest is on auto…

0 0

hmmm, check if it matters which hd is in I brb superman II :D