Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Messed up icons

0 0

Some of the icons on my start menu have disappeared. I have tried removing the items from the menu, but they still come back with broken icons. I have used the TuneUP utilities icon repair thingy, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

0 0

They're not shortcuts that I added, so there is no Properties option. Whenever I right click on "Run" for example, the only right-click option is "Run".

What's the point of scribbling over something if I tell you what it is :p

I've looked in shell32.dll and the icons are in there, but I have no way to change the icons of the broken shortcuts.

EDIT: pic

0 0

Tried TweakUI, didn't fix it :|

0 0

Did you try…

SFC /scannow

…at a command prompt? You'd need your XP CD.

It will restore system files.

Edit: You could also try deleting your iconcache.db file. Do a search for it, back it up somewhere (just in case), then delete it and restart your computer. It should automatically recreate itself and restore your default icons.

0 0

I've made lots of (harmless) changes to system files (reshacking them to change strings etc.), so I can't easily do the first option, but I'll try the iconcache thing next time I reboot.